Signs- Pennies From The Other Side

jeudi

A few months ago I made a post linking members here to an article I had written on another site, an online publication called Medium. I've written another post relating to widowhood, specifically about signs I get from my late husband. In that article I also link to an article by a psychic medium who explains some of the nuts and bolts about how our passed on loved ones communicate with us. Here is the link to my story  https://medium.com/uncalendared/pennies-from-the-other-side-338b9e704d8   I hope you will click over and give it a read. 

When I linked to my last story I mentioned that Medium pays for writing (if you are a member and you sign up for getting paid for your writing). You can read this article of mine without being a member but if you click around to read other things eventually non-members get "locked out." I don't make a lot of money but theoretically, if you write a lot and people like your work you can make some decent bucks. If you like to write and need some extra money since your loved one died this could be a little side gig for you. It's super easy and user friendly. 

There are a few writers there who write about loss. I'm thinking about starting a "publication" within Medium that is specifically for stories from widowed people. If anyone has any interest in this let me know (you can message me here as Medium is really public.) and I'll get to work on making that happen. Someone else has posted a widow/ widower publication there but it is blank like he/she gave up on the idea so I don't think I would be stepping on any toes. 

I write about signs as I still have a relationship with my late husband because of the signs he sends me. In the article I link to, I went quite a bit into his cancer story, which I never really did on the old YWBB. It has taken me quite some time to be able to speak of this time in my life. So painful. Now, I can do this but it took 15 years or so. I lost John in 2002. 

At the bottom of the Medium article I include a song sung by Billie Holiday. I warn you now- it relates to my story and might make you cry, especially if you are like me and music can really turn on the waterworks for you. 

Hope everyone is doing well. Keep writing and sharing and commiserating. It is the best solution for everything widow that I ever found. 

Judy

Edited by jeudi
wrong link address

Ah, Judy. 

I just read read your essay. Thank you so much for sharing!  This is the kind of writing and insight that I miss from YWBB. There truly were some individuals who could articulate their thoughts and stories in a manner that could feed my broken soul. 

The writing of seasoned widow(er)s balanced some of the raw and acute pain of newbies and others who finally found a place to openly share their stories of loss. 

I would love love to see more posts like this one, as well as questions and vents from people in all stages of widowhood. 

Maureen

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing this Judy. The last time you linked to Medium, I also read that entry and then others you wrote.  I've always enjoyed your writing (maybe enjoyed isn't quite the word to use when talking about death and being widowed but you know what I mean.  LOL)  and as Maureen said, this type of writing is what I regret being lost from YWBB.

Thank you too for sharing the "cancer story" part. My husband has been dead a bit over 12 years and I know how hard it can still be to remember that part.

Thanks Euf- a lot of what I write now is humorous fiction, so I don't strictly stay with these hard stories all the time. Writing was the most important thing that helped me find myself again. For me, letting my mind go to this other place that had nothing to do with loss, allowed me to get away from the horrible way I felt, if only just while I was writing. It took me about six months before I had enough focus to write but once I got started I wrote a novel by the time I reached the first anniversary pf John's death. I couldn't focus enough to read a book but writing, for some reason, was something I could do. 

• Like 2