What to do for my husband’s Anniversary

Bash1437

Any suggestions on nice things to do to honor my husband? In a few days it will be 2yrs he passed away. I have a 3yr old daughter who will of course be with me and I have many of my husband’s closest friends who also want to participate in whatever we choose to do for that day, and aI have no objections to that. I usually can think of something great but this year I’m completely blanking. And I don’t know why but I cant even remember what we did on his first anniversary. Any suggestions?  I want to make the day a positive experience, especially for my daughter, rather than it be just a sad day. 

Edited by Ben1437

Your daughter is 3, so that makes it a little more challenging.

So, just some things I did and maybe that will spawn an idea for you.

First Father's Day - Putt Putt golf as my LH played a lot of golf.

First Anniversary of his death - Had colleague whose husband flies  his small plane.  Took my son  out flying.  My LH was an aircraft mechanic and loved flying. So....it worked out.

Probably you have movies/videos?  Watch them. Look at old pictures of him with your daughter.  Make a special picture or picture frame so she can put it in her room?

Balloon lift off with paper notes tied to it.

Let one of those Chinese Lanterns go. She can color it and you and others write notes on it before lift off.  Do several together. She will remember something like that, probably.

Message in a bottle if you are by the ocean or large body of water.  Everyone can do that.

Make a "lantern" light out of a glass jar and glue tissue paper on the side so you can put a candle in it.

Light a candle. Fix his favorite meal, dessert,  and eat together.  Anything he liked to do you can incorporate in a special day memory.  

I took my son to see Lion King as soon as it came close. The story, ya know.

As she is so small, you can ask your family and friends to write down a special memory of her dad and put it into a book for later. 

Go somewhere he loved to go as a group or just you two. Whatever works for you.  

Good luck.

Edited by tybec

• 2 weeks later...

I have been honoring our "sadiversary" every year since he passed away. Because he was a captain, we (my young son and I) write a message in a bottle and throw it into the ocean (local to us) then we sit on his memorial bench and talk about him - and then do something fun for both of us. I like to keep it close with just my son and I but involving other family and friends sounds like a lovely idea.

Edited by Captains wife

• 3 weeks later...

I started donating blood around those sad dates. My husband received a lot of whole blood and platelets during his treatment. He was told he would not be able to donate blood anymore because he received chemotherapy. I promised him that I would always donate with him by my side or not. I have an appointment the 30th to donate. My middle daughter is going with me. It will be her first time. 

• Like 3