Proud Mom

Tomorrow my son leaves for his first post-college job.  He will drive cross country 2,000+ miles to get there, is happy and excited to move on and start this new position.  Another bittersweet milestone, I'm so proud of him graduating a semester early and living his dream of taking on a position in his field.  I'm smiling yet crying, and don't want to show that I'm happy but sad at the same time.  His Dad isn't here, and I'm angry.  He should be here to see what his son is becoming, we should be celebrating our son's achievements together.  Damn ... 

• Like 1

Congrats to you and your son! This is a huge milestone. Definitely a sucky proposition for our kids to hit these achievements minus a parent to root them on but it is still a testament how strong and successful they are nevertheless. 

Although not physically, I believe our loved ones remain with us spiritually. It's  for us because we can't see them or hear them. My husband was trying to get to my sons high school graduation ( which is in june). He didn't make it. Its heartbreaking for me that he won't physically be there. You are so right,  all of this sucks!

• Like 1

It does suck, I'm a mess.  I held it together in front of my son but have been crying the past few days otherwise.  It helped that he's been super cranky, it's easier to let go when he's so unpleasant to be around.  Maybe he does this on purpose, he knows how emotional I can be.  My kids are resilient, and they're making their way successfully and I'm so grateful for this.  His graduation is next month, sigh - those bittersweet milestones keep coming and it's not easy.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi t2b,

Sorry I'm late to this thread. I feel for you. Going through these milestones without the one person who could share in your pride -- as well as all the other emotions surrounding his moving on -- is so difficult. I have had several of these moments, and while I am in a relationship, I don't feel like I have anyone who shares my feelings or who truly gets it. Thank goodness for widda. How are you feel now that it's a week removed?

abl