Social Security Children's benefits....

RyanAmysMom

My DH passed almost 4 years ago.....  My children and I have been very blessed to receive the survivor's benefits from Social Security - I literally couldn't have survived without them....

Well...  My oldest turned 18 in January - and his benefits stopped.  I was under the impression that his benefits would transfer to his sister, and they'd still get the total benefit amount until she turns 18 as well.  Does anyone have experience with this?  Do I have to contact Social Security to transfer the benefits?  Or will it just happen automatically.... perhaps there's a delay?  

Advice? 

My oldest turned 18 in October (4 years ago) and her benefits were paid until June the following year (when she graduated high school).  After that, my son's benefit amount did not change,   He has since (2 years ago) graduated and has aged out.  Maybe this is something new about the amount increasing if an older sibling stops receiving the benefit.

So when my eldest stopped receiving benefits, my younger kid’s amount stayed the same. They then paid me out a little bit to compensate for the rest of the year but honestly it wasn’t worth it. By the next year I was told to pay $5k back. That really hurt so I’ve been trying to catch up from that for the last year. It totally hurt our budget. 

I believe that there are family as well as and individual maximums. The way I understand it, if both of your kids were receiving the individual maximum before your oldest turned 18, then the youngest's benefit would not increase. If they were below the individual maximum, I believe your youngest's benefit would have automatically adjusted when the oldest aged out. It's always worth a call to the Social Security office though. 

If your 18-year-old is still in high school, benefits should continue until he graduates. In the months prior to your eldest's 18th birthday, you should have received a form to be completed by the high school. 

Edited by Abitlost

@RyanAmysMom I am going through the same thing. My husband passed 7 weeks ago. My oldest turned 18 in February. And its alot to understand. I haven't gotten any benefits yet but I hope they are on the way. I have to call and ask the same questions you have because I could not think of anything to ask when I was there...thanks for the reminder.