TED talk on moving forward versus moving on

tybec

http://t.ted.com/qGOpLiu

I think this should be here.  Bunny posted about pod casts but I would never do anything else if I listened!  There are such good ones.  I like this widow’s explanation of this.  Hope it helps some.  I let my NG hear the short version.  He commented recently I have my LH in such high esteem, he’ll never measure up.  I really thought I was intentional in managing my comments.  I think it is more about I do talk about him as we were a “WE” for 28 yrs.  He, on the other hand, was single until 30, divorced after 10 yrs of marriage and now single (lives by himself).  We just have different experiences in shaping us, permanently, as she states.  He said this was a good perspective. 

Anyway......😊

Edited by tybec
Error
  • Like 1

It could be that he is just a wee bit overly sensitive about this ‘measuring up’ business so hears things in an amplified manner, so to speak. It’s a losing battle to compare oneself to a dead person they will never ever meet. It’s apples and oranges, honestly. And that part is not on you- that’s something he has to come to terms with on his own. I also try to temper my words, and have no problem with subtle reassurances if I sense any insecurities, because it must be pretty weird sometimes to be in a relationship with us widowed folk. 

I rarely have time for podcasts anymore, but there really are soooo many good ones out there! And they definitely were a sanity saver the first couple years. I liked this ted talk and the few times I’ve listened to her podcast I enjoyed it.