My son had a friend commit suicide yesterday

tybec

We moved.  It’s been two yrs.  A social media post from his former group let him know.  15 yrs old.  He befriended her in 4th grade as she was new to our area.  She came to our church to see him in a musical in the 5th grade. He went to church with her in the 6th grade. 7th grade was middle school and drama for her. She started dating older guys.  We moved that summer. 

I will follow his lead. Visitation Sunday and funeral Monday.  I am so heartbroken for her family.  It was just her and her mom. Her mom is  a RN and works a lot.  Looked her up on FB and she had been involved in raising money for suicide and soldiers as an army fort is in the county.  

Oh, our kids. 😭

• Sad 3

I am so sorry for this family and you and your son. It is just heartbreaking when this happens to young people. 

We've lost 3 students to suicide at our high school in 20 months. Just breaks my heart. One was a friend of my oldest son. They weren't close, but occasionally ran around in the same group. You are doing the right thing following your sons lead on this. It's such a complex, devastating issue for young people to process. 

My son did not choose to go, and honestly, I am glad. It would have been so, so sad.  And he would have seen friends that I was a little concerned about before we moved, too.  But it was his choice.   I have heard so much about kids and suicide. My ears open more.  I am talking to him.  Checking in.  He is more logically than me, so far, a science/math enthused kid.  He handles things differently than me.