There's hope for me yet....

StillWidowed

So I'm driving in the car with girlfriends (we're all in our early 50's) the other day, and we're talking about our one girlfriend's mother in law.  M-I-L had remarried and so I ask..."how old is your M-I-L again"?  She said 72.  And I then asked "how old is her husband"?  She replied 82.  My other girlfriend then reaches over, pats me on the leg, and says "see, there's still hope you'll find love".  Now this is the girlfriend that I mentioned in another post that went over to her pot smoking, used car salesman of a boyfriend's house to cut his grass so she could spend time with him.  You know, you just have to chuckle at people.  One person's Prince Charming is another person's....Oh hell no!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It is amusing how a self-sufficient woman can make people uncomfortable. Even the words used to describe the never married: confirmed bachelor vs. spinster or old maid -they evoke very different images for the same thing. At least widow/widower is more neutral. 

Perhaps you need to remind your friends that “A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle” 😄 

12 hours ago, Bunny said:

Even the words used to describe the never married: confirmed bachelor vs. spinster or old maid -they evoke very different images for the same thing.

Ooh, not so sure about that: in this part of the world up to a couple of decades ago 'confirmed bachelor' used to be the code for 'gay chap' 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/4/2019 at 10:35 PM, fairlanegirl said:

Ooh, not so sure about that: in this part of the world up to a couple of decades ago 'confirmed bachelor' used to be the code for 'gay chap' 🙂

Same meaning here too.

Man about town was the term used for a rascal. 

So you all are saying gay men, even when they had to live in the closet due to extreme prejudice, still got to have a nicer sounding name than a woman who lives without a man? Who says we live in a patriarchal society 😂?  

A lot of people tell me there is hope for me too, that I am still young, etc. What they don't realize is I have no interest. I am busy raising my kids. Maybe one day but not now. I think it is more a societal matter that people need to be coupled. Many people feel uncomfortable being alone. They project their own fear and insecurities onto us by making these comments. I find peace and tranquility in being alone. 

I love this! Oh Hell no!!! LOL

On 6/4/2019 at 9:20 AM, StillWidowed said:

One person's Prince Charming is another person's....Oh hell no!

• Like 1

Hear hear Eddienhp! I think you hit the nail on the head. Im dating but still living alone w my son. When I mention I don’t want to get married or I like going out for lunch alone some people look at me like I have 2 heads. Life is so demanding as a single working parent so solitude for me when I can get it is bliss....

• Like 4

I can not identify with the plight of being a widowed parent with children at home and I am thankful for that.  I'm not sure I could do it.  I did some things I thought were beyond my ability while losing my loves but to go through that and suck up the loneliness so I could still give my kids what they need would be another level of strength above and beyond what I've needed.  You kids with kids have my respect and admiration.

• Like 2