Widowed and Dating

I am nearing two year mark since my husband died. I had my first date this weekend and it went much better than I expected, although the nerves were still there. I’m hoping for a second date, but two questions come to mind as I patrol this new water...

1) when do you tell the person you’re dating that you are widowed? I don’t want to just blurt it out, but I do want want to be open about it.

2) when do you tell your former spouses parents you’re dating? I have a great relationship with my in-laws, but I know that whenever I do tell them, it will be very hard on them. I know they’ll be supportive, but I believe they’ll still struggle with it.

Thoughts?

My status of "widowed" was in my online dating profile so, for me, that information was known by all of the women I went out with right up front. I don't know, maybe just play it by ear and when the subject of previous relationships comes up with NG, and it will if you go out a few more times,  that may be the right time. I told my late wife's parents I was dating soon after I started. I had a very positive response from them. 

Good luck, Mike

stawcie   I had the same questions as I started dating, at a similar time frame out as you.   If I thought that it was a relationship worth pursuing, I told him two to three dates in that I was widowed.  Some dates I didn't tell - but I knew those relationships weren't long lasting anyway and I didn't want to take the energy to have that conversation.   It took me awhile to tell my in-laws that I was dating, although they told me early on that they hoped I would find somebody else. I just didn't feel like sharing the details of my dating life with them. and I was pretty sure that my MIL would want the details.  LOL   

It always seemed to come up on either the first or second date. I always got the wondering question why I was currently single. Some guys wanted to see if we’d have a commiserating commanlity like divorce , etc between our situations. I am pretty sure I put it in my dating profile but I don’t exactly remember where it was stated in the actual profile. 

I told my FIL and his wife quite soon after I started and they were supportive. The stories cracked them up. I haven’t told my MIL and her husband. We’re keeping our distance and I’m not sure how they take it. 

My dating profile also had my widowed status listed.  As for my in-laws?  After my husband passed I didn't have much of a relationship with them so whatever they thought, I could careless.  In fact they were not the nicest people.  About 6 years after my husband passed I met a great guy.  He's also widowed.  We've been together 6 years now.  My 2 sisters-in-law met him last year.  They knew I was with someone as my daughter had told them.  The older one was cordial but the one I always had problems with was a real BIT**.  Wouldn't even acknowledge me much less him.  Our families and friends are happy for us.  We plan on selling our places, buying our own place and move out of state to a warmer climate.  We live in the midwest.  We're both happy and isn't that what counts?

• Like 3