I got my son to 16!

tybec

He is 16!  And he got his permit to start driving!  It is such a big deal!

Unlike lots of parents that fret about their children growing up too fast, I have relief at each birthday, each milestone.  I have this sense of urgency to have him grown, and be an adult, prepared, independent,  just in case something happens to me, now.  I get it but it is does make it such a bittersweet celebration.  

Driving .  Ugghh!  Another one of those, "this is dad's job!"    My older brother and wife were here, and he took him on his first drive.  I am so thankful for things like that.

I guess it will never go away completely.  But he is doing pretty good so far.  I am grateful.  😃

• Like 1

It’s not too bad. My daughter just turned 16 and she often asks me if we can practice. Here, we need 50 hours of practice and you have to have your permit for at least 9 months before you can get your license. I had her drive me to scrapbook stores farther away for practice. My recommendation is to be sure both of you are well rested and having a good day. It helps patience for you and nerves for your teen. Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tybec said:

He is 16!  And he got his permit to start driving!  It is such a big deal!

Unlike lots of parents that fret about their children growing up too fast, I have relief at each birthday, each milestone.  I have this sense of urgency to have him grown, and be an adult, prepared, independent,  just in case something happens to me, now.  I get it but it is does make it such a bittersweet celebration.  

Driving .  Ugghh!  Another one of those, "this is dad's job!"    My older brother and wife were here, and he took him on his first drive.  I am so thankful for things like that.

I guess it will never go away completely.  But he is doing pretty good so far.  I am grateful.  😃

Congrats!! That's a big deal! I feel the same way with milestones. I don't want to wish my kids childhoods away but everytime each one started Kindergarten, etc, it was a sense of a relief. Like "Ok, we made it this far" LOL-

My younger son turns 15 in two weeks- He can get his learners then, but another full year before official license. I will tell you, now that my oldest son has been driving almost a year, it does make juggling a little easier! Congrats again!