Getting rid of furniture

I’m at eleven months today. My husband and I were together for 17 years, 11 of which we had this couch. It’s become kind of iconic with our friends and in our life and has so many memories associated with it. Our cats have ruined it over time, I’m sure it smells, and on top of it, my husband and I had been talking about getting rid of it right before he passed. My mom offered to buy me a new couch and I took her up on it. It is getting delivered a week from today and they are taking our other couch to the curb for the trash. Any advice on how to cope with this? I’m sure it sounds silly to a lot of people.

It doesn’t sound silly to us. Sometimes, we need our own rituals when we make changes. I have moved after losing both of my husband’s and I let go of a lot of their property and joint property as well. Fortunately, it often feels better after you make the change. Perhaps take a photo or 2 for memory’s sake. Cry if you need to. Get your new couch and try to embrace the inevitable - that life moves forward and you might as well join in and try rebuilding. 

Hugs,

Maureen

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm late to the discussion but just wanted to say it's not silly to cry over an 11 year old couch. It's yet another piece of your lives together that is being replaced by something that he had no part in. It sucks. But it's also part of building the next chapter...so enjoy your new couch, I hope you love it and it lasts another 11 years! 

(I may have fought NG over getting rid of my loveseat, which actually predated DH, was almost 20 years old, and was in such sad shape that I took it to the dump instead of donating it...)