Widow/Widower fiction. The only fiction genre I could read

Guest tableforone

Guest tableforone

I am a reader. When first widowed, I read every non-fiction book about being widowed I could find and order on Amazon. But I couldn't give up my fiction. But I hated all characters who were not widowed. So I read exclusively fiction with widows as central characters. I called it my own personal genre.

Two of my favorites:

Olive Kittridge by Strout(can't think of her first name right now) Won the Pulitzer. So apparently I am not the only one who thought it was good.

How to Talk to a Widower by Jonathan Tropper. So very funny and true.

Hoping my widow fiction genre might help other readers who can't seem to be able to read anymore.

Guest TooSoon

Over the holidays I read a novel about a young widowed woman by an Irish author, Colm Toibin, set, naturally, in Ireland.  It is called Nora Webster and absolutely loved every word. 

Guest TooSoon

I gave my copy to adp but he's so lost in his Proust or some such that I don't think he's even opened it.  Lol!  Otherwise I'd send it to you.  It is melancholy but really resonated in a lot of ways.

Guest tableforone

I like melancholy. adp and his Proust. He should try a little Brigit Jones to lighten things up!! ;D

Bridget Jones Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding

Good Grief by Lolly Winston

Widow Waltz by Sally Koslow

Up at Butternut Lake by Mary McNear

Widow's Guide to Sex and Dating by Carole Radziwill

I never much cared for nonfiction widow books. The above listed books are just some of the widow fictions I have read. I really loved by Bridget Jones and Good Grief.

• 1 month later...

Great thread, and I've few of the books mentioned.  Olive Kitteridge" was made into a multi part mini series on HBO with a wonderful cast, very well done.  My book group recently read "Nora Webster", and everyone thought it was amazing.  Of course they were glad to have the perspective of the resident widow (moi).

A few more:

"Rosie", by Anne Lamott, with a sequel "Imperfect Birds".  I don't care for her non fiction, but her fiction is spot on.

A trilogy by Robb Foreman Dew -  "The Evidence Against Her"; "The Truth of the Matter"; "Being Polite to Hitler".  A widow in 1920s through 1950s Ohio.  I loved it.

"Shelter Me" by Juliette Fay.  I read this fairly early out, and while it might be in the 'chick lit' category, it hit home for me.  The protagonist was about the same age as me, had children the same ages and was widowed due to an accident.  I had an email exchange with the author and she was very kind. 

Most widow lit is likely written by non-widows, which makes sense.  If I were going to write a novel, it probably wouldn't be about a widow?lol.