Organ Donation question (may be triggering)...

SoVerySad

My husband's brother died today - also suddenly just as my husband did. I am so sad for my in-laws. They are very dear to me and my children. To see them hurting so deeply is heartbreaking. The hospital team was able to get him breathing on a respirator, but declared him brain-dead due to too long without oxygen. My in-laws agreed to organ donation, although apparently it will only be for things like corneas, skin, bones, etc. as they removed him from life support.

My apologies if my question is upsetting to anyone. We didn't have the opportunity to donate my husband's organs, so this is new to me. I was wondering if anyone with experience might share if this sounds right. They will be flying his body to Pittsburgh (about 4 hrs from here) to harvest the donations, then will fly his body back for burial. My in-laws were told they may need to pay for his plane flight back from Pittsburgh, as well as the funeral home's services to get his body from the airport and bring back here. Is this how it is normally done?

Thank you for any information you can share.

Guest look2thesky

I have never heard of someone charging fees for organ donations.

That is strange. I'm sorry hugs to you.

My wife was unable to donate to due overseas travel soon before she was killed, but before finding that out I was given a lot of information and part of the process was flying her to a large city for the harvesting process. No mention was ever made of any cost to me, and I can't fathom how that could be the case. I haven't seen anything directly related to this issue addressed online, but the www.organdonor.gov site is pretty clear...

Are there any costs to my family for donation?

No. Your family pays for your medical care and funeral costs, but not for organ donation. Costs related to donation are paid by the recipient, usually through insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid.

I am so sorry for your loss , I am sure this also triggers all the feelings you had when it happened to you

My don donated his organs , corneas skin, etc it was done locally and NO Cost to me

so hard enough as this is ,know that your intuition was right about it sounded unusual

take care

No. This makes no sense.. I'm a donor wife. They took what they needed right at the hospital or med examiner's. There should be no cost to the family. Ever. It shouldn't interefere with or delay funeral arrangents etc incl open casket.

It's been a long time now so things may be different (and things vary from state to state and from institution to institution) but the University that I donated my husband's brain and spinal cord too (he had a very rare condition and this contribution has hopefully provided researchers with a lot of information) paid for the transport to hospital and the harvesting but the transport to funeral home (it was all in the same town) was handled by the funeral home and the fee was pretty minimal and part of what they charged me.

Hope that helps. I would suggest though that your ILs ask very specific questions about costs and it if is a hardship, they need to speak up. There are probably funds for these types of circumstances that can help them out.

Thank you all for your replies and condolences. I let my in-laws know to ask again about these expenses as their understanding doesn't seem right. My husband's remaining brother is handling most of the arrangements, so she is going to talk with him about it.

Thank you, again.

I am so very sorry for your loss. 

Had they been able to take my husband's organs (they couldn't because he had lived in Europe in the 80's), they were prepared to harvest in the hospital he was in at the time of his death. 

My wife donated several organs and a similar situation happened. I will say up front that there should be NO cost to the donor's family. They just need to be up front with the transplant company that they need the body back by a specific date and the company will pay for everything, otherwise there would be no donation. I imagine what is happening is that the transplant company will FLY the body to the city, but will DRIVE the body back. I imagine the company is not wanting to pay for a flight back, BUT if you tell them that they cannot have the organs unless the body is returned by a specific time. Of course they will likely have to have a reason to have the body returned faster.

The transplant company that we worked with was awesome. Kathy died on Wednesday, December 30th at 5pm. I wanted a Friday night visitation and a Saturday funeral, because my sister was moving out of the country on Monday. I also wanted an autopsy done since the doctors really could not find a reason for her death other than a default "heart attack." The transplant company did everything for me and even paid for the autopsy. Keep in mind that the autopsy was done on January 1st as they found someone that would come in and do it during a holiday. Kathy's body had to be life flighted to St Louis (a 4+ hour drive) to retrieve the organs, then driven to Jefferson City (2 hour drive) for the autopsy, and finally returned to us (4 hour drive) with enough time to be prepared for visitation Friday evening. The transplant company covered all expenses. They did not have to cover the autopsy but they went over and above because the doctor refused to order an autopsy, which would have been covered under the insurance if he would have ordered it.