New House, New Season, New Death

My first post in the '6 to 12 Months' forum.  Seven months, one day to be exact.  It's been a few months since I've been on here.  My stepdaughter and I moved last month to a new house.  I guess I don't have to tell you guys how hard it was living there or how hard it was leaving there.  Nonetheless it needed to happen.  We love our new house and neighborhood.  Bella's boyfriend is just two blocks down the street.  They started 'dating' a week before her mother passed.  My wife, Chanty, adored the kid.  So it's really helped Bella through these difficult times.  She's 16 btw.  I've been very optimistic about our new season.  Staying busy around the new house, there's always something to do or buy.  Walking in the evenings still and dropped 30lbs.  Things were progressing nicely.  Then the unthinkable happens.  This passed Monday, my father-in-law, in his grief committed suicide.  He was bi-polar and been in such a dark place since Chanty's death.  Such a sweet guy, we had grown very close.  I'm sure you can imagine how hard this week has been.  As if the floodgates had been opened.  I'm an emotional disaster all over again.  If you pray, keep us in your prayers.

How devastating :( I am so very very sorry for the fresh trauma your family is being put through.  No child should have to lose her mother and her grandfather so closely , and so tragically.  We are all here for you, please remember that should you need shoulders to listen or cry. 

TK I am so very sorry to hear this. I really know how it feels to have the rug pulled out from under you again in such a short time. Sending you a ton of hugs. 

Cyndi

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

TK74,  I am so sorry for both of your losses.  That is so much pain to bear. 

I am bipolar and came incredibly close to ending my life a few months after my wife died by suicide also.  Those with mental illness are dangerously vulnerable after a loss, although many of we widows experience suicidal ideation in some form or another.  I hope you and Bella understand that there was absolutely nothing more you could do to help your FIL.

Sending you positive energy from the UK.

Thanks for all the encouraging words.  Gracelet, I'm so very sorry for your struggle, your daily battle; I know it's hard.

As for my father in law, I didn't know him for many, many years; but the time we shared, I knew him as family. He was caring, affectionate and heartfelt. He was quick to make me feel part of his family and always treated me as a friend and a son. In the last year he was someone I could lean on and depend on. We grieved together, cried together and tried our best to encourage one another as we dared to walk through this difficult season without ?our girl?.  And just like that, the reset button to my broken and fragile soul had been hit, starting the entire grieving process over.

?Her absence is like the sky, spread over everything.? - C.S. Lewis

Maybe it's the normal ebb and flow of the newly bereaved, or a basic internal 'grief' clock we're all equipped with, but I awake every morning knowing the exact number of days (and weeks) since she passed. Until recently, I've never been so aware of the difference between time and seasons of time. Time moves on, seasons meddle. Time continues at it's usual pace and days quickly move forward; yet this season of grieving lingers. It simply spins round and round in a vast vortex of whirling emotions. Hovering, waiting, then returning without warning. Today, it's been 294 days - exactly eight months and twenty-one days. With even her 'absence' always on the forefront of my mind, how much more would my memories of her presence invade my soul and bring both joy and sorrow? I guess the ultimate goal and prayer is that sorrow and grief eventually turn to joy and gratitude. I'm slowly finding that grief, while remaining true to itself, is changing over time. I no longer question God or come home from work each day and weep. The tears are now occasionally triggered by certain songs or memories, even a voicemail I saved just to hear her sweet voice from time to time. Eventually focus will shift to the season ahead, regardless of the reluctant abandon of the current one and the still, small voice of God will once again direct my path.

Before being faced with such a tragedy, there are a million little things you have no way of knowing or how to be prepared for.  The first few months I dreaded nightfall, because I knew what was waiting.  Losing a spouse is never more real than when you're lying in bed, trying to fall asleep, and knowing you'll never hold them again. And this realization is yours to repeat, every... single... night.  We didn't have the luxury of being together ten or twenty years or enjoy a harvest of having children 'together', as she was too sick even from the beginning of our relationship.  We both knew the likelihood of growing old together was slim, but we thought we at least had another ten years together; at least that's what I held on to.  If the amount you grieve is based on the amount you loved, then I'm in for quite a ride.  I can only surmise whether it's five years or fifty years, time is not the true measure of love or loss, nor is it the summit of what was gained.  Time is relative, temporary and fleeting at best.  For Chanty and I, longevity was, by nature, overrated and presumptuous.  Rather, give me five short years of unbridled joy with someone who redefines the term best friend, passion with one who unequivocally embodies the word soulmate and the kind of love that would make you relive every single day of it.  In the end, that's all we really needed and all our story could possibly tell.

• 4 weeks later...

What amazing and thoughtful words for both your sweet wife and your father in law.  I'm sitting at my desk at work with tears welling up in my eyes.  What a lucky woman your Chanty was, to be loved by such kind and intelligent souls like your FIL and yourself.

I appreciate your very kind words.

So, I've found a 'GriefShare' group to attend.  It starts tomorrow night.  I'm not the 'group' type of person (INFP), so it's a really big deal for me.  It's about twenty-five miles from home, about twelve to twenty people attending (hopefully a good age range).  I just need to try something different, it has to be worth a shot.