Confessions of a widow

Tweety76

I tell my puppy I love her 20 plus times a day. I talk to her like she's a human and she is the best listener! I also sleep at the end of my king bed sideways just to spoon her. She gets belly rubs every morning(my therapy) and is just as spoiled as my husband was. I really don't know what I would do without her constant silly and neediness!

I have two monsters (my four-legged babies ... the girl is 60 lb and the boy is 70 lb) and a California King bed. My girl sleeps for part of the night on what was my husband's side of the bed and the boy turns in about 35 circles and falls down as close to me as possible. He often leaves me about two inches of bed  :D Anyway, it makes the whole thing less painful having them to care for ...

Okay, one more: because of my husband's health, the doctor had said he needed to sleep with the head of the bed up higher. This was back in the healthier days and so he boosted it with bricks and boards (McGuyver, anyone?). The day or so after he died, I pulled all that stuff out and flattened the bed. I'm able to sleep peacefully, even though I it took me about a month to even sit on his side of the bed ...

Here's my widow confession for today....  First some background...  When I work in the yard, I tend to wear my husband's old sweats/athletic pants and shirts.  Two reasons for this: 1) I don't have any 'work' clothes of my own (didn't have to do this "before") and 2) they're big and comfy and it's okay if they get ruined.

Anyhow today, while working outside, I realized I needed to run to the hardware store.  So here I am, in a pair of his old, baggy gray sweatpants, a large gray henley shirt, and a ragged fleece zippered jacket, with my hair pulled back in a ponytail and no makeup and off I go to the hardware store.  I would have NEVER left the house like this "before"!  But now I don't care.

Of course, I laughed to think that maybe I would run into Mr. Right while at the hardware store.  Yeah, real attractive!  At least I could only get better looking!

I thought I would try to clean out his underwear drawer.  After taking everything out, I meticulously folded it all and put it back.  But then I decided to wear his boxers to bed with one of his t-shirts.  I now have about 15 pajama "sets" for the summer :)

I had all of my husbands boxer briefs put away until I read this post. Now they are all back in his dresser, and damn they are comfy!  ;D

I thought I would try to clean out his underwear drawer.  After taking everything out, I meticulously folded it all and put it back.  But then I decided to wear his boxers to bed with one of his t-shirts.  I now have about 15 pajama "sets" for the summer :)

I had all of my husbands boxer briefs put away until I read this post. Now they are all back in his dresser, and damn they are comfy!  ;D

I like the idea that I am sort of sharing "crotch space" with him.  And I can't even believe I said that, but it IS the confessions thread! I suppose lol

I'm having skin hunger like you wouldn't believe.

Me too. I'm climbing out of my skin. A gentleman happened to put his hand on my back while reaching for the half and half at Starbucks the other day, and I wanted to shriek, "TAKE ME NOW!!!!" I cry all the time... I'm so starved for intimacy (physical and emotional), I'm starting to think I won't survive this. :(

• 2 weeks later...

My confession... I turned down sex again today. I know, probably not what a lot of you want to hear. It's a step forward for me though. I think I'm ready for a little more than just physical gratification.

• 1 month later...

I sometimes think I created this whole thing-- from finding Jim to marrying him and then on through to losing him-- as some St Elsewhere or Dallas-style extended dream sequence in order to deal with the colossal disaster that was my first marriage. It was never real, so I don't belong here--or anywhere else, as far as I can tell, except maybe some freak show someplace. :(

Guilty!

I can't get myself to shower most of the time, so I do bucket-washes instead...

Eating is a mess and I'm glad if I eat a real meal every other day.

I've stopped caring about taking the clean and dry laundry off the clothesline and putting it in the wardrobe.

That's it for today

I struggle because my first marriage, which I was also widowed from, was horrid. No other way to describe it. I feel terrible, speaking ill of the dead, but if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have gotten involved with him. That means I wouldn't have my one and only son now, who is on the autism spectrum with other emotional and developmental issues. I struggle with thoughts that I did my son a disservice. But then, like in Jen's quote, the second marriage was like a dream, making up for the first. And then he died as well.

What's strange is the emotion associated with telling someone I've been widowed twice. There are times when I am nervous about saying it, afraid that (since I am trying to date now) that a person I'm interested in will recoil in horror. Other times, I tell it to back people off who I feel are pressuring me to get too close, too fast.

How to find balance. And peace ...

• 2 months later...

So sorry, Missing. Do you think that is the case because the men are uncomfortable about widowhood or that you may not be ready to be with someone else? Not prying and please don't feel that you have to answer. I know it might just be that your Ch2 hasn't come on your scene yet, which is fine, too. However, sometimes waiting is so difficult ...

Could just be one of those seasons, Missing. right after my husband died, I went through a period where I didn't want to be with anyone ever again. Then, I got somewhat paranoid and wanted somebody to live with. I mean, I even considered a live-in housekeeper (like I can afford that!). I had a conversation with my stepdaughter, who is 30, about coming to live here as she gets herself situated again. My husband did not want me to be alone if something happened to him and as I thought more about how he had said that to me and to our pastor at the time, I wanted to look for a mate of some sort  :-\ After one weird online experience, I met current NG and feel very comfortable with him. I am hoping this will be my Ch3. In this process, I think we all go through patches of 'okay', 'horrid', 'good', and so on ...

• 4 weeks later...

I met a guy online and went on a date with him.  He stunk so bad and his breath was offensive!  He smelled so bad...Yuck!  I excused myself to go to the bathroom and literally had to force myself not to leave. Came back and ended the date!