Brag about your kid!

Abitlost

I am re-posting (with permission) MissingMarsha's thread from the last board:

As you parents know, the loss of your spouse (or SO) has not been easy on your kid. I have created this thread for us to brag a bit on the accomplishments of our children in the face of losing a parent, step-parent, or good friend.

Please allow me (MissingMarsha) to kick things off... a couple of the local high schools are raising money to help in the homeless in our county. My daughter (with some help, of course) has raised over $1,000 USD!!! In relation, the total goal was $10,000.  She has also given a couple of local radio interviews, and I could not be prouder 

C'mon and share your inspiring stories of young people in action!

On a recent trip, I asked my daughters to "allow"

me to go to my favourite store for 20 mins. The youngest complained and the eldest told her "look, maman has been really nice to us finding cool things to do all week, so now it's time she does something for herself without us complaining." She is 7 and amazingly emotionally intelligent.

The youngest, who is four and regularly asks to be carried on the one-block walk to synagogue, promised she didnt need a stroller for this vacation. And man, she walked everywhere with no complaints, slowly but surely saying proudly every time "I am four, I am a big girl and I can walk!"

My 9 yr old son was 1 of 2- 4Th grade students that got chosen to participate in a mathematical school competition which is always mostly 5 & 6 graders and will be competing with other schools and my 13 yr old daughter audition to be in a little mermaid musical and got a lead role.

I'm very proud of my children.

My son is only 5.5 months old, but at the 4 month appointment, the pediatrician said he's developmentally like a 6 month old. He's so close to being mobile and can sit on his own now. He's such a funny, sweet, happy guy. I really can't wait to see what he can do as he grows.

My 7 year old finally got her back handspring. She also got picked for an impromptu part in her dance recital.

10 year old has been rocking at basketball...And has been picked for a baseball travel team/district team

12 year old...picked for middle school baseball team. He is also busy getting new clients for his lawn service.

They have all kept straight As this year...but don't seem to want to do anything extra academically. So far they have all gotten good behavior reports at school.

I could share the bad too..Lol..But since it's brag on your kid thread I will focus on the positives.

Kenneth's kids were mostly grown, when we first met.  They are now in their late 20s/early 30s, so I won't include them here in this particular thread.  My kids are now 19 (my son) and 20 (my daughter), and I will take a moment to brag on them.

In the year, since my Kenneth died, my son, who struggled academically throughout school, managed to graduate high school, by the skin of his teeth, and has taken a few classes at the local community college.  His grades aren't A's, but he likes the classes and he has B's and C's.  Considering he has a visual impairment, social anxiety, and that he had to go to summer school and night school to graduate, that is HUGE.  He doesn't drink, doesn't do drugs, and has friends, who are trustworthy, with good reputations.  I never have to worry about where he is at night, and I can always count on him to do what I ask.

My daughter is a "go getter".  In the last year, she and her fianc? planned both a wedding and a cross country move.  They also paid for everything themselves.  She is fiercely independent and stubborn and one of the most highly intelligent people I have ever known.  At her wedding, she found a way to honor Kenneth and his memory and to make him a part of her special day, even though he could not be there physically to walk her down the aisle (or to have her push his wheelchair down the aisle, as the case would have been).

This is a picture of my younger son, Jack, at a Sensitive Santa event in 2011.  He is autistic with apraxia (non verbal)but is doing well.  His older brother, Sean, will be in seventh grade this year and wants to be a mechanical engineer. Thev come a long way and I'm so proud.

Guest Lost35

Boy, I really need this thread today.  It's impossible to brag to anyone other than the other parent or maybe grandparents without sounding boastful.

Yesterday, out of the blue, my five year old:

opened the driver's side door of the car.  When I asked him to get in the back, he turned and said, "Mamma, I'm just opening your door for you!".  I then told him how this Mamma never opened a door, car or otherwise, when Daddy was around, that he opened doors all the time and I always appreciated it.  "I know, Mamma," he said.

excitedly took the chocolate coin his teacher gave him the day before and had forgotten about in my pocket, unwrapped it licking his lips, paused and broke it in half, and gave a half to me.

remembered (consciously) to lift the seat to pee.

This Mamma was beyond proud, and had no one to share with who might understand, that this glimpse of great behaviour means he DOES listen, after all.  :)

-L.

Tough week for two of my daughters, but they are handling things so well.

13yo decided to break it off with her "boyfriend." They had been "dating" for over a year. Basically that means they sat with each other at lunch, and texted after school.

15yo finally decided to break it off with her "boyfriend" this week too. They texted and had movie nights at our house. No dating until she's 16. I've seen this coming for months. She just needs to figure out how she's going to do that. I'm encouraging her to do it in person, but she's leaning toward texting. Sadly, she's afraid of his reaction. I told her I would be with her if she decided to break it off in person.

I think both of them used these friendships to help them cope with losing their dad. I told my 15yo that I thought she was holding on to her relationship because she didn't want to lose him as her friend. She agreed. He is her best friend. I hope that after things settle down they'll still be able to be friends.

Anyway, I'm proud of my girls. I'm also glad that they ask for my advice and opinion. I hope that's always the case.

My 7yo daughter just shakes her head and says, "boys are trouble!" She's so smart! ha

I just want to share that I am so happy with the choices my daughter has made thus far with the relationships she has fostered into friendships.  She spent the night with a friend last weekend and both girls learned from each other that the other had lost their dad.  Earlier in the day, I met a couple of her other friends at a vocal competition for school.  Each came up to me to introduce themselves to me.  For me, that is what I call being "raised right." 

Her grades are stellar and I am thrilled because it's a 360 from last year!

Finally, I am so proud of her can do spirit.  She had been in the school play and then went to see her grandmother during mid-winter break.  As a result her rowing coach said she would have to cox the B boats (second string, basically).  I asked her how she felt about it and she said she wasn't happy.  I told her it may not feel fair, but it was equitable because the coach is responsible for the entire team.  I told her it was an opportunity for her to show her coaches what she was made of.  I told her that we don't always get dealt the best hand - our coaches, bosses, others will be watching to see how we respond to "set-backs."  I told her to do her best and to teach the new kids how to kick butt and turn their B boats into A boats -- she can change the course.  I told her that a coach won't hold a champion back. 

Well, we found out this week, after she competed against a mail coxswain, that she was placed into the women's 8, men's top 4, and women's top 4.  She's coxing the A boats after all.  So so proud of her. 

Son number 1  (19 yr old) is sweet and sensitive and knows what's important.  Proves it by treating his girlfriend right and handling his mom pretty right too  :)

Son number 2( 17 year old ) is trustworthy. I just went on a 5 day trip to florida and had no qualms about leaving him at home( he didn't want to come) and as an added bonus I found out he put the garbage to the curb, on the right day nontheless. :D

My 2.5 year old is a pro traveler. After being woken up at 5am to board two flights to California and no naps all day he is a perfect passenger! While boarding the airplane he said "Hi" to everyone who had already boarded as we went to our seats at the back of the plane. In an aisle seat there was a big muscly guy with tattoos literally covering his skin wearing a tank top. He stops and says while pointing at his arms "I like your shirt!"

I'm so proud of him for so many reasons.

Love reading all of these stories!!  My son is 27, he was 20 when S died.  He was my son's stepdad, but the only dad he ever knew.  My son has a boy that's 18 months old, and he is such a good daddy.  Makes my heart swell.  He's 4-1/2 years out of college, and he's already gone from being a zookeeper, to being a supervisor over 4 other zookeepers, to being the curator of the zoo.  He's finding out that management isn't always worth the larger paycheck... But he's handling the stressful situations well.

Going to brag on my 7 year kid again!

She rode 4 hours thru the mountains one way last night...spent 3 hours at my friends visitation....had dinner late...Today she sat thru a 90 minute funeral....and my gabbing to friends afterwards..another 4 hour ride home..then sat thru a baseball game.

Her older brother could have never sat that long. I was so proud of her behavior!

So proud of my 18 y/o son -

He's been on his own this past year in Europe to finish up his senior year of high school.  He's graduating with honors in a tough IB program, is thrilled to be accepted to his top choice colleges and has been offered 2 scholarships.  So damn proud of him -      :) :) 

Yes!!!! to all of our awesome offspring! 

My turn now

1.  Offspring #1 (aka Heather Elizabeth) will be 34 in August - was 20 when her dad died (they were sooo close and are soooo much alike).  She is brilliant, and has always marched to her own drummer - and is probably one of the most empowered women that could come out of a union between 2 committed feminists.  She worked for 10 years for various security companies, including 5 years with Brinks Canada - was one of their top ATM tech, qualified with 50/50 at the range EVERY time (twice a year - with a Smith & Wesson MP40 in eastern Canada and a Colt 45 in western Canada) and still has the Class 3 Drivers Licence required for the armoured cars.  She quit in 2012 - she was having problems with the glass ceiling -- wanted out of 'the barns' and into management - was thwarted at every turn.  She went back to school in 2012 and got a Marketing and Business Development diploma this past December.  She has had health issues for half of her life -- is now RIT Hypothyroid and is being treated for PCOS -- she had a major surgery in September and her right Fallopian Tube and a football sized mass was removed.  She is actively looking for work and I hope she lands something for her fabulous self soon -- she is bunked in with her brother in an arrangement that I had nothing to do with, and it is working. 

2.  Offspring #2 (aka Ian Marc) will be 25 in September - was 11 when John died.  They were buddies, but of the two - he is most like me for politics and life philosophy.  He finally finished school last May -- he did a two year polytechnic diploma program in Electrical Engieering Technology, then decided to pursue a degree in Electrical Engineering - which required 2 terms of an Engineering Bridge and 3 years of University -- the 3 years included 4 co-op / internship terms.  He is working in Alberta at a company that employed me as Senior Buyer  many years ago -- he is a Junior Controls Engineer for them.  He has a cute little 2 bedroom condo rented about 5 minutes from his office, and invited his sister to share the place and help out with the domestics (he finally got it that those chores don't just happen ;) ) until she gets on her feet.  He has paid off a small Line of Credit, a small credit card debt and paid SCANDALOUS rent for the past 6 months.  Some lessons just get taught by life, and I get to stand back and watch.

I graduated both of them with no student loans - it has been like a raise in pay in 2015 for me! 

I am so proud of them both - they are decent human beings.  What more can a parent hope for? 

• 5 months later...

Let's face it, in life, people generally do not want to hear us complain about any part of our lives, and they do not want to hear us brag about our kids. So, as a general rule, I try really hard not to brag; however, I just have to take a brief moment to brag on my youngest son, the one with social anxiety and a visual disability. First of all, he moved out about a month ago, started a job that required him to travel, and is doing well. He just got his first paycheck a few days ago. Being the parent I am, I felt the need to tell him to spend his money wisely and not blow it all, to which he promptly informed me he is not an imbecile and then detailed all the wise choices he is making. His words to me were, "I'm smart with my money."

Even more than how he is handling his money, my youngest came to me and asked me straight out why his dad (Kenneth) didn't like his birth father. It is a question I have been dreading for many years, because my youngest has a good relationship with his birth father. I really did not want to tell him how I had been attacked by his birth father, when he was a baby. I answered all of his questions, though. I also made a point of telling him that his birth father had never been violent towards me before that time or since. My son said he had suspected the things that I had told him, and that it had been bothering him for some time. He was very mature about the whole conversation and ended it by thanking me for being honest and telling him truth.

I know these things might not seem like a big deal to most parents, but my youngest has had to struggle his whole life. So, to see him stepping out into the world, and to see him conducting himself like a man, rather than a boy, is a big deal and definitely something to brag about.