The music we turn to - reposted from proboards

Hello All,

I'm going to go ahead and transfer this thread over from the "old new" board that was set up on pro-boards.  I think my best strategy is to just cut-and-paste the old posts crediting the original poster, then hopefully we can pick up right where we left off  :)  Here goes

-------------

Post by mrstim85 on Mar 6, 2015 at 9:29pm

My Tim was fiercely passionate about music. It was the shared interest that brought us together, and it remained our most important shared love throughout our entire relationship. And even though it still hurts, I know that the best way to both honor his legacy and remain true to myself is to continue to embrace and share the powerful songs and artists that have meant (and continue to mean) so much to me.

I?m honored to start this first music thread. Thanks for the gentle nudge, MM. I truly appreciate this opportunity, as I know Tim would be proud.

My first submission to this list ? Jose Gonzalez?s ?Stay Alive? from ?The Secret Life of Walter Mitty? soundtrack. It?s a new favorite of mine. I think the mix of melancholy and hopefulness is a wonderful representation of my current emotional state and it makes me well up with semi-optimistic tears every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KZnu7fVRPIc

So tell me ? what are some of the songs you turn to? Maybe some old favorites that bring comfort? Or the new stuff you?re listening to now that?s carving out a special place in your heart? Let?s break our new home in with some fun music talk, my wonderful widows. I?m looking forward to hearing some good stuff from you all

-------------

Post by brokenheart2 on Mar 6, 2015 at 9:43pm

So good to hear right now. Thank you MT

---------------

Post by canadiangirl on Mar 6, 2015 at 9:55pm

mrstim85- that was absolutely beautiful. I will definitely be seeking that song out. Thank you for starting this thread.

--------------------

Post by littlebirdie on Mar 6, 2015 at 10:02pm

This is an old song, but I still like it.

--------------------------------

Post by LisaPop on Mar 7, 2015 at 1:50am

----------------------------

Post by LisaPop on Mar 7, 2015 at 1:59am

https://vimeo.com/62577546  and, so simple

------------

That's all I have time for now, folks!  I'll pick up again with the copying in pasting in a few houes when my lunch break starts :) 

Sammy Hagar's "Where Eagles Fly". It ironically starts with the words "Sunday morning, 9 a.m. I saw fire in the sky, I felt my heart pound in my chestk, I heard an eagle cry.......". it was precisely 9 a.m. on a sunday morning when they told me he was gone. He had so many demons and alcoholism was a monkey on his back.  Flying Eagles has been a theme with him all his life , right down to his work on the F-15 Strike Eagle. I stumbled across a youtube video that was a pilot montage of the F15 Eagles set to that song. It was Kismet. And then I cried buckets when I saw that there were planes with the mighty SJ on them, from OUR base. Planes HE PERSONALLY had touched and I knew it was from him. That song literally sprang to my mind the day he died when no other cohesive thoughts would come.  I knew he loved it, he had played the video so loud the walls shook more times than I could count. He had posted it to his FB page just a day or so before he died.  I KNEW this was his song. 

With these Lyrics "Now I'm alive and I breathe the air

They wash the earth from my face

I catch a glimpse of another dream

I turned, I looked, but there's no trace"

To me, that sounds like what the last moment of his life might have been . Now he's TRULY alive and free, the earth and its addictions and fears and trouble are washed from his face and he caught that first glimpse of that "other dream"...Heaven and looked back here and saw no trace. 

The video has been removed now and that makes me incredibly sad. I did find a way to save the audio from it, because the jet noise in the background was just SO HIM...there's a jet that breaks the sound barrier flying straight up at the end and in my corny little mind I would like to think that is how he left this world.

Onward!

---------------

Post by tybec1 on Mar 7, 2015 at 4:55pm

This song I heard within two months of DH's death. New to me. It is a Christian group, but you don't know it when you listen to it. It got me through some awful months. I found YWBB 6 months later. I don't believe in coincidences, and therefore, believe people are put in our path, not random. YWBB kept me from being "Alone" many days.

-------------------------------------

Post by swilson on Mar 7, 2015 at 9:48pm

Thank you for starting this.

--------------------------

Post by soverysad on Mar 8, 2015 at 10:00am

Thank you all for sharing. I have listened to this one several times over the past few months of this hard winter. My husband was a Zevon fan. Of course, he'll ALWAYS be in my heart.

------------------------

And that does it for the stuff from the proboard forum!  I look forward to everyone else's submissions :)

SVS, great post!  I'm a big fan of Warren Zevon too, although I inherited that fandom from my parents.  In fact, when I was a young teenager and first learning how to operate a record player (hides Millennial head in shame  ;)), one of the first LPs I played with any regularity was his album "Excitable Boy."

Totally separate from his excellent music though - I was equally impressed with the grace and strength with which he faced his own mortality.  Hell, when he knew his end was near, he recorded a whole great album about the experience of staring death right in the face called "My Ride's Here."  Here's the titular track: 

And speaking for great songwriters who confronted their own deaths with peace and love and strength and grace - one can't forget George Harrison.  My Tim loved the version of his song "All Things Must Pass" from the Beatles anthology collection, and I share the opinion that it's superior to the album version.  Just his voice and his guitar sound so earnest and sensitive and precious...I ended up turning to this song a lot in those early days.