Camp Widow

DavidsKtBeth

Can someone who has been to Camp Widow tell me a little about it & about their experiences.  I came across it on instagram right after Dave passed but I was 1. hesitant to whether it was a trick 2. The camp was waaaay too soon for me.  I just want to know if I would be interested in going next year and would have to plan for a trip cross country.  Thanks in advance!

I just went to the one in July in San Diego and thought it was a very worthwhile experience. It can be a little overwhelming, at first if you don't know anyone or if you are one of the younger ones. But the greatest part about camp widow for me was going to a place where I could be how I truly felt.  I didn't realize how much I needed this till I was there.  But it was great to be in a place where if you needed to step out because things were too much for you, everyone would understand.  It really just made me feel so much less isolated.  This was only my first time, but I really recommend it. It is of course emotionally intense.  I can go on and on about camp widow.  PM me if you want more details

It was always too much $$$$ for me to ever go (and I had little kids).

I am sure some really enjoy and benefit from it. Regardless of the $$$..it really never appealed to ME. Also plenty of professional widows out in full force at these gatherings-promoting themselves, there expertise, books, self help coaches, DVDs fitness, TV show, etc. I am sure some of the sessions maybe good--but too commercialized for my taste.

I am sure others feel differently. Just my opinion

I went to a camp widow and ultimately I would recommend it if it's something you're curious about. I'm in my 20s and don't have kids so I did feel like I was in the minority which was a little isolating at times. Having said that, everyone there was very supportive and a lot of the speakers were widowed quite young as well.  It was an emotional weekend, there's no question about that, but I would go back again. You can choose sessions you want to go to and even if you're halfway through and it's too much or you just don't like it, you can leave.  You can be as social or not social as you want, and you can say as much or as little about yourself and your story as you want. I really think they did a good job of organizing it, and it was a very open and welcoming environment.