Am I the only one?

still_lost

It has been hard for me the last six years without my husband. Financially, it seems that I'm treading water and not really getting ahead. I don't know how I will manage to raise a child on my own for the next 10 years until adulthood. I'm so drained and tired of doing everything on my own. I can't be the only one who feels like this is as good as it will ever get. I'm raising my son alone, and I will be the best mother that I can be. What happens when he's an adult and out on his own? I'm just trying to get through the next 10 years of his life....

Hi still_lost, I'm there with you. I have less now than two decades ago. We lost everything except the car. And I was the one working and paying for it! I don't know anyone who struggles like we do. I feel like I'm working to pay someone else's mortgage every paycheque. I haven't had a holiday in almost four years. I'm exhausted too. I want off social media when I see everyone else's fun. This life is no fun. My child exhausts me. Sometimes I think that life is pointless.

I didn't want to depress you but I feel the same way. And I don't talk about it because I don't want to be a downer. But it's my reality that I feel others can't relate to. Not my married friend, with a house, who works part time and gets many holidays per year. Not the stay at home parents that have time to chat at school drop off and pick up as I struggle to get to work on time and not lose a job I'm too exhausted to do. Not the divorced parents who get support and alimony and get time away from their kids. Not my married or childless friends for obvious reasons. We were widowed in the prime of our lives. And nobody was there to help me but just see me drown.

Oh shit. I have no wine but I may eat the box of chocolates that I bought for my son's teacher. I'm in solidarity with you as I know how much it sucks.

Doesn't it feel like it will always be a struggle? I know people always say things will get better, but damn it's been six years! Don't you wonder how you will manage? I know I do. Lots of student loan debt, car payment, insurance, utilities, food etc....how the hell does one person manage when it takes two incomes?? Ugh, I'm beyond tired. Thank you for the response. Exactly what I needed this evening. I knew I couldn't be the only one who felt the way that I do.