Anyone up for a Chicago Area widowbago dinner soon???

JudyF418

:)

Hi, When i was first widowed in 2009, a fellow widowed person suggested that I look at YWBB which was the first version of this online chat board for widowed people.

I met a lot of new friends there, and we tried to have regular dinners, usually once a month at North Suburban Chicago area restaurants. One person would volunteer to be the "host" for the evening, making the reservation, making name tags for the attendees (with our board names so we would know who we were talking face to face to), and greeting the attendees as they arrived, usually in the front of the restaurant.

When I was first widowed, I felt like a "pariah" with all of my married friends.  I found that the ONLY people who understood what it was like to be widowed was OTHER widowed people.

So the widowbago dinners were essential to the "healing" of my broken heart.  Dinners are places where we greet friends, meet new friends, cry, laugh, tell stories. ALL is acceptable. It was hard to try to go out as a newly and not so newly "single" person, cuz it was so easy to remember my late husband, and I could cry at a sound, a smell, a song.. OTHER WIDOWED people were there to just BE present to me, and I was and am present to other widowed people.

Some of us were "newer" widows, some longer time widows.  It's time to get the ball rolling again. So is anyone interested?

We tried to organize a dinner in April, and we did get together, but it was a small group.

As time passed, some of us kind of drifted away, and we formed a Facebook page for the Chicago dinners.

If you are on Facebook and want to check out upcoming possible dinners, go to

YWBB Chicago Dinner Group

Or you can message me, or reply to this posting. Thanks, Looking forward to meeting you.

• 3 weeks later...

You know me.  I'm always up for a widda's dinner.  I can bring some friends along too.  Hopefully if a date is suggested we are available.  My Saturdays in September are filling up; 9/3 and 9/24 are already booked.  So any other dates are fine.  Otherwise, if October is scheduled I hope I/we can make it.  Looking forward to it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'd likely be interested, although I've pretty much ignored Facebook the last 3.5 years so I don't think I'll be joining the group.  I'm in Chicago proper but I don't drive so hopefully wherever you all pick will be somewhere public transit friendly.

thanks

I am in Chicago 2 to 3 times a year. Just went to the Hari Cari's (I believe), the famous restaurant where the mobsters used to hang out. I would love to meet some new people there. Let me know of any plans. Thanks.