made him his birthday cake

donswife

It was the first time in 27 years that My Don isn't here to celebrate his birthday with me

Since Don was little he always had the same birthday cake

spice cake with peanut butter frosting , yup I know sounds odd but it is good

I made it because to not have that smell in my house today would destroy me

My don had a killer sweet tooth, he could eat a pie or cake in one sitting so I would make cupcakes instead

he would always bring the leftovers to work so I decided to do the same

The wonderful guys at the DPW said they want me to do this every year because they miss him and me :)

what was a day of tears ended up being as good as it could be

I'm sorry you had a difficult day yesterday.  {{HUGS}}  Making the cake was most likely hard to do without the tears streaming down, but you did it.  Part of the healing, I guess.  And so Proud of you that you shared the leftovers with others that miss him too. 

Sounds like a wonderful tribute to Don. What a wonderful idea to share the cake with co-workers. I have not visited Mick's place of employment for a while (he died in 2010). But every time I went there, I somehow felt a piece of him with me. My co-workers were also very good to me for a very long time. Now that five+ years have passed, things are more "normalized" and very few people actually remember the dates like I do. Of course, if I mention that it was "Mick's birthday" or the sadiversary, I get caring remarks, but I tend to mark his dates privately now (with certain family members). There still has not been a day that I have not thought of him, wished to talk to him or feel his arms around me. I don't think we really ever stop missing them...

HUGS,

Donna