New HuffPo Grief section?

MrsT85

I was clicking around HuffPo on my break today and noticed a section for the first time - it's called "Common Grief" and can be found here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/common-grief/

I know I and others have linked to grief stories from HuffPo in the past, so I just wanted to share.  It may not be new, but today was the first time I'd seen it after clicking through to this story, about one woman's struggle with the holidays since losing her brother (I keep an eye out for those types of articles to share with by DH's younger brother).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allison-hudson/a-christmas-gift-of-grief_b_8840674.html

Now just wanted to share this little gem, from this article that was actually written for bereaved parents (I've changed the word "child" to "spouse" in a few places).  While I know the pain is not the same, I thought the way it explained why having a community like this one is so very important.  And then thank you all once again for being here and being my "village" when it all just gets too overwhelming.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/angela-miller/6-ways-to-survive-the-holidays-without-your-child_b_8856804.html

6. Ask for help/Find your village. Whether online, or in person, compassionate, empathetic support saves lives. Period. Having a village of support can often make the difference between surviving or not. Everyone needs someone to lean on. Remember, you are not alone. Do yourself a favor and ask for help, for whatever you need. Be proactive by having your core support "team" at the ready. Whether you need someone to listen, cry with you, or lie in the ditch of grief with you, have these dear souls ready. As your safety net, your safe place to land, your whispers of hope. It might be the one sure thing that eases your mind and heart this holiday season, in a way nothing else will.

Remember, this is not an exhaustive list of ways to survive. These are just some ideas you might find helpful. Take what is helpful, leave what is not. Just like grief, there are no rules for surviving holiday grief. Do what you need to do to survive. Honor your spouse how you need to, and do what feels best for your fragile, aching heart. You are missing a huge piece of you, so do whatever you need to find a sliver of peace.

Remember, no one has the exact relationship you do with your precious spouse. No one will feel the exact same piercing agony, pain and longing you do for your love. Therefore, no one has a right to give you unsolicited advice about how to tend to your soul-deep wounds- this holiday season- or any day of the year.

Remember, no one loves and misses your spouse the way you do. The love you two share is a love unlike any other.

MrsT85,

Thank you for the quote.

The old YWBB was certainly my "village" during my early years of widowhood. That site greatly helped me get through my first Holiday Season after becoming widowed 6 years ago, and I remain friends with many former members even today.

In this first Holiday Season of its existence, I hope our new village Young Widow Forum will serve a similar purpose for our more recently widowed members.

--- WifeLess