Silver linings

Guest TooSoon

Guest TooSoon

My husband died in the first week of my spring semester in 2013 but he had been very sick for a long time ( I am a college professor); I told my students my husband was going to die any day and I'd be taking a week off (which, incredibly!, is what I did; why didn't I take a whole semester?).  I had a student identify herself to me as a freshman that same semester who was on a huge scholarship whose mother died of GBM (terminal brain cancer, too, same as my husband when she was about the same age as my daughter).  It meant a lot to me that we made that connection but she struggled for a few semesters, and I was in a weird political position vis a vis her scholarship.  But then she began to blossom.  And she's freaking amazing.

This spring she is graduating.  She called me tonight to tell me she got into one of the most prestigious post-graduate printmaking programs in north america.  I was the second person she called.  There was a time I thought she might fail out or lose her scholarship  but I stood by her always and damnit, she did it!  I am so proud of her.  Against all odds, she found her passion and she has made it work.  Proud as a professor, optimistic as a surrogate-mom to another kid who also lost a parent. 

Was just absolutely tickled to hear she did it! 

That's great!

Not only is it awesome to hear of someone who has overcome her struggles, but also encouraging to hear of a woman who lost a parent at a young age finding her passion and being successful at it.

By the sounds of it you also played a large role in her success by supporting her and believing in her, it must feel wonderful for you to hear this great news.