Job opportunity at Jesuit school - looking for insight

Guest TooSoon

Guest TooSoon

Hi there - this is a completely random request but I am applying for a job teaching history at an elite, urban, all male Jesuit high school in Philadelphia.  There are many aspects of my background that make me particularly suited to this position but I am not Catholic, though I am a product of a parochial school and have no conflict.  The job description uses the phrases, "the Ignatian tradition," "pluralism" and "multiculturalism" in the same sentence (regarding pedagogy and teaching philosophy).  I was wondering if anyone might have some insight into this.  I've done my web research but what I want to know is what sort of phrasing would be appropriate for an urban Jesuit school in 2016 (the faculty seems to be made up almost entirely of lay teachers).  Feel free to pm if that is better; I'm just trying to gather as much perspective as I can before I write the letter early this week.  Thanks! 

There are many aspects of my background that make me particularly suited to this position but I am not Catholic, though I am a product of a parochial school and have no conflict.  The job description uses the phrases, "the Ignatian tradition," "pluralism" and "multiculturalism" in the same sentence (regarding pedagogy and teaching philosophy).  I was wondering if anyone might have some insight into this.

Consider what you know about traditional Catholic teachings and, when you are speaking to Jesuits, disregard all of it and replace it with every '-ism' that has been introduced into American culture since the '60s.

I kid - sort of.

From Wikipedia but actually a pretty accurate take on them: "Within the Roman Catholic Church, there has existed a sometimes tense relationship between Jesuits and the Holy See due to questioning of official Church teaching and papal directives, such as those on abortion, birth control, women deacons, homosexuality, and liberation theology."

As they are known as the 'Society of Jesus' (that's the S.J. following the priest's name), they believe themselves the top of the heap of all Catholic orders. They are elitist and condescending to anyone that holds a different theological opinion than themselves. That includes the Pope. Especially the Pope. Our current Pope Francis is the first Jesuit Pope, they are beside themselves with joy. 

To give you some idea how they are viewed within mainstream Parishes: A long staple joke at Parish Men's Club breakfasts has been told for years. It's too long to quote in it's entirety but the jest of it is this - A guy goes to confession and confesses to a murder. The Priest takes it in stride and proscribes a very light penance. The confessor is shocked at his light sentence and rages at the priest "What is wrong with you Father, I feel terrible!! Haven't you ever killed anyone!!?"

The priest, horrified, responds "Oh no my son, I'm a Dominican, not a Jesuit!"

But, back to your point - to answer your question directly - you could not present yourself in a fashion too liberal for the good Fathers. But, you may be interviewed by the lay staff and then who knows. Stick to what you know about teaching and you'll be fine.

Good luck - Mike

p.s. - I went to a Jesuit run High School.

Guest TooSoon

Portside, Thank you.  This is super helpful.  My research is in early Christianity in the western Mediterranean and also the colonial history of North Africa in the 19th and early 20th centuries (the Church played a role there then too - a complex one).  I was trying to gauge the degree to which my "ethical humanist" perspective might or might not be in conflict with the school's philosophy bc the wording on the website is so vague I cannot parse it; like I said, I went to a religious school too so have no conflict with any of that.  My many semesters of ethics and theology only helped me.  I've been advised by an alum (a friend from grad school) just to be honest.  It is unusual for someone who has a position like mine to want to "self-demote" in this way.  Part of it is logistical but I also truly feel like I can be more effective with younger students and while not myself Catholic, I think a more service oriented, ethics based, history saturated world view serves all young people well.  My compulsion to do this has been intensifying these past few years; my husband's death woke me up and made me think about what really matters and it is not happening where I am now.  I have glimpses in my classroom with a handful of students but this seems like a chance to do more.  Thank you.

Guest TooSoon

Thank you.  I know you get it Blue14.  It is time.  I was always more suited to service and am eager for a change; I think this could be a very good match but ultimately it isn't up to me.  No clue if there is a snow ball's chance but it is worth a shot.  Fingers crossed.  Hope to see you very soon.  Think of you always, obviously.  xx