Sympathy cards

Kater

A very good friend of the family died somewhat unexpectedly yesterday.  He has not been well for some time, but was talking to the EMTs one minute and the next he was gone.  Went to buy a sympathy card for her.  I think this is the first time I have needed to do that since S died.  It was hard to find one that wasn't full of platitudes - they are in a better place, may the memories erase all the pain, blah, blah, blah.  Then I got thinking - if I wrote cards for Hallmark for the loss of a spouse, what would I say?  Put on your helmet and fasten your seatbelt.  You are in for a ride like none other. 

I put every single card I had received on my mantle and anywhere else in the house needed just to get them up.  It reminded me when I needed it to, that I had lots of love and support to lean on.  I really didn't care at the time what the card said, only that I was thankful someone had bothered.  So maybe I shouldn't be so sensitive to the card companies' ideas.  I mean what can be said in these early shocking days?  It was just an interesting exercise to read them now with a different perspective.

I received hundreds of cards. What struck me ironic was that I have a good amount of cards in multiples. Apparently either the selection isn't much at card stores or people are just drawn to certain kinds of cards. I scrapbook so I make my own cards. I say what I feel and I find I tend to usually suggest something to help them garner strength and comfort depending who the person was that passed away. I always offer an ear and any way I could offer help. I can't help it.

I bought a pretty large but nice decoupaged decorated box from Tuesday Morning. I keep the cards, the guestbook and any books I've gotten about grief in there. I also got a memory box as a gift from a family that received one of my husband's donations that rests atop the box. I keep it all in my bedroom.