The little things that will never be shared again...

I continue to find, yes at 4.5 years out, as I clean and clear through the house little things like cards and notes in an effort to try to get mementos of a former life all in one place.  BUT as I find these things that are wonderful I am continually reminded that there's really no one to share them with.  My kids don't want to know about the father's day card from 2005 where it explains that she loves me because I'm a good husband, father and person and the cute tush is just a free bonus! I also doubt a future love will really care to reminisce with me over them.  So there's the problem, these things just die with me and I so want to revisit them with her but that time is gone...and it makes me sad.  Not sobbing over it, I can't remember now when I was that upset last but just a melancholy feeling that life as I knew it has changed so much and forever and I can't change it...

riff,

I have also been going through mementos of John and putting them in order.  I have found a lot of the things he saved from his late wife.  It may seem odd, but I love reading the cards he wrote for her and those he received from her  - as well as other writings and things he saved long before he met me.  It paints a picture of who he was then and how he developed into the person he was in his 50's when I knew him.  It may be quite possible that someone in your future will appreciate what you are finding and saving.

But some of the crux of your post is the sadness you are feeling with the loss of your dear Fal...and that, my friend, I understand too well.

Solidarity...

Hugs,

Maureen

It may seem odd, but I love reading the cards he wrote for her and those he received from her  - as well as other writings and things he saved long before he met me.  It paints a picture of who he was then and how he developed into the person he was in his 50's when I knew him.  It may be quite possible that someone in your future will appreciate what you are finding and saving.

Maureen,

I don't think this is  odd from the perspective you have, and I am inclined to agree with the sentiment. I have saved some things in the hopes that one day, someone might read and treasure them. I can't share them now, but NG is not a widower and though he accepts that I have a never ending love for DH, his is not exactly inclined to read over our old writings.

riff, we are forever changed, no doubt about that. Feel you, man. No comment about the cute tush!