On Death and Dying

Guest Questions

Guest Questions

Have you ever wondered what the terminally ill think & feel about their impending death or how our reactions & coping mechanisms affect the way they relate/express themselves to us?

I often wonder what my husband was going through emotionally & I recently found a book in his library that he himself had purchased in the 70's, started reading it & am finding it facinating:

"On Death and Dying" by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

It focuses on the psychological aspects of dying & is a study of sorts based on interviews with 200 terminal hospital patients conducted by a dr. & his students, including observations of their interactions with family members and medical staff.

It talks about how our views of death formed/have changed over the years, the coping mechanisms we employ as a result of our fears & insecurities about  mortality & the effect they have on the dying & their loved ones.

This book has opened my eyes to much & has really helped me understand a lot about myself.

I'm having a hard time getting through it without tears & remorse because the events surrounding my husband's death were very traumatic. Closure has been difficult for me even after 6 years.

I don't know if I will ever find closure, but this book is helping me understand my human frailties & that's a step in the right direction. I recommend it to anyone suffering from disenfranchised or complicated grief..

(((hugs)))