Boston

mikeeh

This isn't really about a bago but who knows.

I am thinking of going up to Boston with my son for about a week for vacation in mid August.

Anyone from the area that has any suggestions for what to do or where to stay while there?

We are looking at a whale watch and maybe a Red Sox game.

If there are decent hotel deals I would try and stay in the historical district, near Boston Common, Beacon Hill. Great to walk a lot of places from there. There is an Omni Parker house hotel on School St that used to have deals once in a while-tiny rooms but great location. For things to do, def see the Red Sox, try going on a Duck Tour (cheesy but fun way to see Boston). Good museums include MFA and Boston tea Party museum. There's a lot going on in the Seaport district too plus great restaurants so try that as well-there's a good acquarium there. You can also take a ferry to some of the MA islands from Boston, like Martha's Vineyard. There are historical walking tours that would be educational for your son and great way to see historic district. Also check out Faneuil Hall-often there are good entertainers there plus good restaurants and shopping. Charlestown has some great historical ships plus Cambridge is worth a visit (both by subway). Hope this helps!

Guest mawidow

I agree with CW on all points. Omni Parker is a great location and just walking around that area is fun. it's close to Faneuil Hall and the waterfront is not too far - you can take a cheap ferry across to Charlestown if you are interested in its history.

Sox game is a great idea, and yes, Duck Tour is cheesy in a good way. Here is an article on things to do with teens in Boston:

http://www.boston.com/thingstodo/family/gallery/funforteens/

The Museum of Science (in Cambridge) just opened a Pixar exhibit which is supposed to be cool, if he's into that kind of thing. While you are in Cambridge, you can go to Harvard Square for shopping, food, people watching. Cambridge to Boston is easily done by T (Boston subway system).

Have fun!

Thanks both of you.  I don't know what a good deal for a hotel is to be honest.  It seems any with any reasonable price (under $200night) puts you way out of town.

I am hoping to do a whale watch at some point.  That and Red Sox tickets are def on the agenda.  Duck Tour and some historical stuff.  I was looking at the Go Pass but not sure if it will be worth it.

The trolley seems to have pretty hit and miss reviews.

I have a sister in law (ish) who works at a travel agency so maybe will check with her about any packages. 

Getting there is a question too.  Will probably drive since only 6 hour drive.  Looked at the train but 12 hours by train.  How ridiculous is that.