Fitting In...For Once.

Guest Lost35

Guest Lost35

My little guy and I have taken up fishing.  We usually go to a local lake in the evenings and sit on the dock and talk about life... tonight we decided to explore a new local fishing spot and found a little fishing dock to ourselves.  Just after arriving an elderly man arrived.  We spent the evening with him.  I wanted to talk to him more, but for the most part, it was a conversation of importance, so small talk was scarce.

I never ask personal questions as a rule, but tonight, I did.  It seemed okay to do so, somehow.  His wife died two years ago.  He is on his own in the country with a sister in England.  Both of his children died in a car accident thirty years ago. 

I was so appreciative of his presence.  We talked about books and work and life in a matter-of-fact way that is not found in normal day-to-day conversation.  He was good company.

I hope we will meet again and perhaps he will come for dinner.  He needs family and so do we and sometimes life just presents itself in ways that make sense.

I don't know why I'm posting this, other than to make up for all the times I feel left-out or misunderstood.  With the vast majority of our extended family in foreign countries or deceased, it simply means something to meet some people, some days.

:)

-L.

Such a nice chance encounter...sometimes people come into our lives unexpectedly for a reason and I am so glad that you and your son had a lovely evening. Having him over for dinner as a friend would be nice company...

I am isolated where I live so having new friends come into our lives makes me happy. For example, I met a lovely woman who I sail with who has a teenage son and lost her ex husband about 1.5 years ago. Once in a while, we get us and our kids together for dinner and its so nice to have 4 of us at a table, rather than 2. Her awesome son even said something like - Mum, its nice to have more of us at the table than just 2 - at one of our first dinners. Sometimes our new friends are our extended family.

Guest sunshinedaydreamz

Sounds wonderful !!

People hurt when losing a spouse, no matter what age or how long they were with someone.

I wish I had the support I felt I needed, when everyone scattered.

He sounds like a good man, so happy you had a connection !

Sounds like such a peaceful  and deep conversation.  many of those are best had with a fishing pole in hand. I never thought fishing was about catching fish.  There's just something about it .... It's sad that we feel so happy to find someone that we fit with because that means they've experienced painful loss too, we don't wish it on anyone.But every now and then you NEED that.  I'm a sea turtle volunteer, so many nights are spent on the beach waiting for babies to hatch, many early mornings looking for turtle tracks, so "fishing" in it's own right I guess. I don't live down there so I don't get to do it as much as I would like, so one late night sitting waiting for babies to come I ended up talking to another young widow, who's LH's birthday was actually the same day as Chad's! We still chat via facebook every now and then and I always look for her on the beach.  I'm so glad you had that connection that day.