Wayyyy OT - potential job offer

Guest nonesuch

Guest nonesuch

i'm terribly unhappy with one of my part time jobs, and in that state, applied for another.

It is a full time job, though, so in addition to leaving the position I don't like, I'd have to leave the one I love as well.  I've had the interview, (I know, I probably should have declined) and did the sewing test which went well.

At this point in my life (pushing 60) I just don't think working nights and weekends would work for me.  The pay I'd receive for the 33 hours they'd have me work would be just about what I get now from both jobs, but I'd be working nights and weekends instead of the cushy M-F 10am-6pm I have now.

Is there any way to turn this down so I don't look like an ass for wasting their time?  Or should I not worry about this because it's just business and this happens all the time? 

Flavor of the Month said, "You're 60. What are they going to do? Ruin your reputation for the rest of your working life?"

I agree with Flavor of the Month, if the schedule will make you unhappy it doesn't matter if the job is good.  "After interviewing and further reflection I realize the hours

and schedule will not work with my availability but thank you for considering me". Simple.

Guest nonesuch

Thanks.

I'm really only 58, but it's nights and weekends and the interviewer admitted there wasn't relevant work to keep me busy...they just want the position staffed. I thought, I just can't.  I need two days off in a row.

Retail is a young person's game. I'm no longer young.  I'm sad. 

Guest mawidow

I really like Trying's language. FOTM sounds like a clever companion for someone as clever as you.

Feeling sad, however, is something separate that must be honored. Sadness about the passage of time is part of something human and soulful about you. It's not a problem to be solved but it's worthy of utter self-compassion.

I really like the suggestion Trying has for your reply.  And I completely agree with Flav.  And here's my take....when young we have to take what we can get...including nights , weekends, long hours....to get to where we are going....you have earned the "cushy" M-F 10-6 schedule you have built for yourself! You no longer have to take what you can get...you are at a point in life that you have choices and not working nights, weekends and being able to have two days off in a row is a choice you get to make!

Guest nonesuch

Thanks, all.

Sadly it was a substantial amount of money they offered for what I do.  And it should be, as there wasn't enough work to keep anyone busy and someone other than me will just be hangin' around the store hoping for customers to show up and never getting home before 8 pm, having weekends off, or getting two days off in a row.

The company must be a money making machine.