engagement story

ieh21

Today is the anniversary of our engagement. Doesn't sadden me, makes me smile. Crazy story:

Joe rented a horse-driven carriage to come downtown to pick me up after work (these carriages don't usually come downtown, they stay in the old city, a few kilometers away). Joe was such a "let's implement crazy ideas just because we can" type of guy that I didn't even bat an eyelash and it certainly didn't raise any suspicion.

And then, in the middle of the busiest intersection, he got on one knee and proposed.

I was thrilled. But more convincing than the whole over-the-top carriage ride was the fact that he told me that during that afternoon, he was at my apartment when the fire alarm went off. And he took the time to struggle with my cat to get him out of the apartment, even as the scared cat scratched the bejeezus out of his chest. The fact that Joe did that for my cat convinced me that he was the man I should marry.

Awkward conclusion to that happy moment was my mom, dropping anvils about her future attitude to the wedding, reacting to the news with a very warm "getting married? Why on earth would you do that? Such a pointless thing to do". Hm, ok, glad I called you!