At a crossroads...should I move?

Sugarbell

I am trying to decide that very thing as well Sugarbell. I feel like I am at a huge crossroads and don't really know which way to go first. Should I or shouldn't I?? I don't really have a clue which way I am headed.

I love my neighborhood...it's always what kept me here. My home will be paid off in 2 years.

The high school where my oldest just started-it's horrible (only 600 kids grades 7-12)...They push athletics not academics at all.

My hometown where I grew up-Great larger schools..ranked high. Good baseball team and archery. More cultural opportunities. I still have lots of friends there (it's an hour south of me)

My reason for not going back....and it's a dark cloud that has been therefor 30 years. When I wrote it all out it sounded like a lifetime movie so I deleted it.

And I just don't know what to do.

Most of the school districts in our area have open enrollment. Is that an option for you? That way you could stay in your neighborhood, but enroll your kids into the better school? The only downside would be transportation. Free transportation is only offered to students that live in the school district. That's how it works here anyway. What about private schools?

Yes I have considered that option. Our district is the whole county...There are numerous middle schools (and some are very good) that he could go to for 7th and 8th grade. (98 percent of the state has middle schools except us-)...So that would be a good fit.

But the county has two large high schools-Massive by my standards...About 2500 students each. So we have 3 high schools in area for open enrollment...two huge ones (and they offer a lot for the kids but my kids would be totally overwhelmed)--The two huge ones are 9-12 (like it should be)

Then our high school in Stepford...grades 7-12...about 600 kids (tiny-very few advanced classes).

My high school in my hometown is about 1200 students grades 9-12...So it's large but not crazy large.

Really I can bide time for 2 more years...GPA and college track/classes don't start till 9th grade.

But I feel stuck. Of course two more years my house would be paid off-So it would be clear money when I sold....

Just don't know.

I too am feeling the same way. My thought is "I can't imagine staying but I also can't imagine moving".  Uhg. And if I do move I'm not sure where I want to go. Widowhood is crazy or maybe I'm just crazy. Lol

^^^this^^^

You said it all.

SB - I am not happy with our school district either. Sports is king and academics are geared to the middle of the road. A handful of kids who are truly brilliant and hard workers do exceptionally well. DD is smart but not terribly self motivated. I know she'll just cruise.

I will be making the decision in the next year. But damn, it is overwhelming to consider.

Strange....I went home for just a few hours over the weekend....and the dark cloud appeared. Odd I had not had it thrown in my face in over a decade....but recently I was thinking of it with my kids getting older-esp oldest.

It's not anything in my immediate family directly....but the intertwining of my family...my mothers secret affair....and being caught in the middle of it....Just as I was at age 14. I have a choice now...I didn't then. I also don't need my kids going to school with the said persons grand kids and my father hearing about it.

My kids need a Mom at peace--going back would not keep my soul At peace. It's At peace here.

When the time comes if need be...I will check for other avenues for my sons academics. But not my hometown. I was meant to have the wake up call (and shock) I got over the weekend.