Ugh suicide prevention in schools

One of our chapter advocates got a law passed requiring suicide prevention training In all WV schools for grades 6-12. One of my friends whose a high school teacher in another county just sent me a message giving me a heads up that the schools are doing it this fall.

Shit. My 7th grader really does not need this. I know intentions are good doing it (her brother died from suicide like 20 yrs ago when he was a teenager so she's trying to "save" all the kids)....

But for my kid....whose dealt with his Dads suicide for the past 8 years...and it's his first year in high school and he's having a "I miss my Dad" year--This is not good. His friends all know...they've known for years. But he doesn't need it thrown in his face. Like "Oh yeah that's how Ds Dad died"... I know some think this is a good thing in the schools--I do not. I will probably sign him out (they are doing it last period in the high schools) that day early.

Damnit.

Yep yep yep.

I remember when I was in grade 4 and we were having a class discussion about different types of families as no fault divorce had just been made legal here in OZ and I was made an example because my teacher knew my mother had just left us. I remember feeling angry and embarrassed and even ashamed too. My best friend Lia (who I named my daughter after) had it even worse though. Some other girl in our class called out that my situation wasn't as bad as Lia's because she was adopted - implying that neither of her real parents wanted her. Being adopted affected Lia and Andy until the day they both died.

My son's 11yr old half sister became an orphan of suicide just this weekend and she attends a small school in another state and she must be very worried about facing the other kids this week - along with everything else going on down there.

In your shoes, I'd pull my son out also. I imagine it would be hard for the kids who have to sit through similar lessons after losing a parent to alcoholism, drugs or other frowned upon deaths also. We studied those topics every year back in high school. I never thought about that until I read your post.

• 2 weeks later...

I lucked out.

The woman who got this law passed has been doing lots of presentations at area schools...complete with newspaper coverage, etc. While I applaud her effort...for my situation this could've been a nightmare for my kid.

I sent a message to a friend whose a high school teacher at my sons school....She talked to the school counselor to find out if or what they are doing. The counselor is new...and actually worked at the mental health facility I worked at a few years ago. She knows my story. Anyway....the new law says it doesn't have to be an elaborate presentation but giving the kids a flyer meets the requirement. So she's having the home room teacher handout a flyer on self esteem...self harm (cutting) drug abuse and risks for suicide. Throwing it all together. Not much discussion. I truly lucked out....and this is one of the benefits of living in Stepford now for 15 years.....everyone knows everyone....and it this instance that was a good thing. (It's not always but I will definitely take the good...and am going to hush it about the bad)