Halloween Costumes

DavidsKtBeth

I may be a little early on this one but my friend throws a really good Halloween Party every year which I have never been able to make because I have lived 4 hours away and I want to go this year with a bomb ass costume.  Last year DH and I went as TJ & Spinelli from Recess which, if you knew my husband, was PERFECT for him.  Unfortunately, we forgot to take pictures which is so sad to me.. but that's not the point.  I kind of want to do something to poke fun at the fact I'm a widow? because I use humor to get through things.  For example, since DH & I were only married for 26 days after being together for 6.5 years I tell people that if I would have known getting married would actually kill him I would have been okay not getting married.  That being said,  I can't go as the Black Widow because no one wants to see him in tight leather/clothing.  But I'm really up for anything funny.. Any ideas?

I kind of want to do something to poke fun at the fact I'm a widow? because I use humor to get through things.

I think it's great that you want to take this issue head-on like that. I have to ask, though:

• How will you feel when people start asking you insensitive questions?
  • Do you really want other people treating your husband's death like it's some kind of joke?
    • I'd be furious for your sake if they did.

Most (but not all) people know better than to do these things, but some may assume that such a costume encourages them otherwise.

I'm glad that you're ready to go to parties. I wouldn't even go to a restaurant for 5 months after my wife died. Whatever the case, you don't deserve to be hurt right now by people who get the wrong ideas about what you're going through. All of us here know that widowhood is awful.

I hope you have fun with whatever you choose to do.

|+|  M a r k  |+|

I kind of want to do something to poke fun at the fact I'm a widow? because I use humor to get through things.

I think it's great that you want to take this issue head-on like that. I have to ask, though:

• How will you feel when people start asking you insensitive questions?
  • Do you really want other people treating your husband's death like it's some kind of joke?
    • I'd be furious for your sake if they did.

The people at the party are all people who I feel safe around.  I use humor as a defense mechanism.  I just would rather lighten the mood so people don't have to feel uptight around me during an event that is supposed to be fun! 

The people at the party are all people who I feel safe around.  I use humor as a defense mechanism.  I just would rather lighten the mood so people don't have to feel uptight around me during an event that is supposed to be fun!

I'm glad you have friends to support you like this. I only raised my earlier questions because I saw how badly you were feeling in recent posts. I hope you have a great time!

|+|  M a r k  |+|

Totally fine to poke fun at the widow thing. Here is a photo of me in Vegas last week!

https://instagram.com/p/7MrfHmJ8fx/?taken-by=g.anglygate

In the UK, we have a company called Scottish Widows who, ironically, I have my life insurance and pension with. They're known for having attractive young women wearing a black cloak with a hood over their heads in adverts. Try that out and be all international at the same time?

Or go with Jackie O and wear BIG sunglasses and a veil.

For a black widow spider, make the legs out of 4 pairs of black stockings stuffed with newspaper.