Alice's restaurant ..

donswife

so tomorrow I am going to do the usual Thanksgiving thing

going to the in laws for meal number one , then my family's for meal number two

for the first time I will be doing this alone , for the past 27 years we did this together

the timing just worked where we heard the song Alice's restaurant (at noon)

yup the whole version ...not sure how to hear this and still be able to put on the happy face and be " thankfull"

wish me luck and I will try to remember to just breathe ..

I will say I am thankful for the 27 years I had with my don and those wonderful car rides

Wow! Ya mean the Alice's Restaurant on Thanksgiving is still a "thing" that not just LH remembered?!? Yep, on the agenda tomorrow, and hope to be able to just suck it up and get thru it the best possible! Not Thanksgiving without that, and the Wizard of Oz on dvd.... But yet now has that painful edge. So many mixed feels.

Awh. Tradition in our house as well. Maybe because we are from Massachusetts? It's was so much fun because my husband could recite from memory all the real funny parts. And he would pepper jokes or funny stories with them whenever.

Dont think he could say " kid" in a joke without impersonating Officer Obie, the Army recruiter, or the meanest, nastiest, father raper of them all. And forget any mention of photographic evidence, automatically became-" twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one."

Sending you tight hugs, DW. It is hard to continue those traditions without our loves. Like you, I'm trying to focus on how incredibly blessed I was to have my husband for all the years I did. As I'm further out than you, I'm finding that easier to compartmentalize from the pain of his loss. Earlier on they were so entwined it was hard to as fully appreciate the wonderful years we had. I hope with time it becomes easier for you as well.

More hugs...

Heh, we quoted it at each other all the time.  My wife played in a medieval music group that did a fair amount of improvising--  when the lead string would wander off musically (brilliant guy, but a bit out there), she'd put her flute down and announce "We'll just wait for it to come around on the lute."

Me, I'm just sitting here on the Group W bench.