Letting people in

Guest TooSoon

Guest TooSoon

Tonight I had my boss/friend and her husband over for dinner; it is a complex relationship because she has been my boss for 8 years, thus through the dark times when i was a "problem" employee, but she has also been my friend, coming almost daily to hospice to sit by my side or Scott's side when I couldn't be there.  It has been a tricky negotiation for us both, my feeling like I was letting her down as an employee and her feeling like I was shutting her out as a friend.  I rarely have company, and I rarely go out.  It was so nice.  We spent the day getting the house ready and got our tree up. They were ostensibly here for a Hanukkah celebration; though we all got the dates wrong, it is a tradition we've had for 4 years (they are Jewish; we are not but we started doing this when Scott was sick and we didn't know if he'd make it to Christmas).  We played dreidel and they read to M while I cooked latkes and we ate in the Dining Room, otherwise known as "the room that contains the table where I put unopened mail and piles of papers to grade."  We drank wine and chatted while M decorated our tree.  It was really nice.  I know she's been going through a hard time and that it meant a lot that we gave them the respite of some distraction, change of scenery and a few laughs.  I get so lost or so busy sometimes, and I forget how important it is to connect. 

Guest Mel4072

I've recently found a depth in my heart that I had closed off. I feel peace with Christmas this year. I'm excited about it, looking forward to it.