The few who actually get it

imissdow

My house is sold. Closing was Thursdayas well as closing for my new house. I rented the old house back for a month so my kids can finish the school year and I have time to move. Today 2 of my best friends came over to help. I grabbed a box looked in it and said "guess what's in this box... Dowie!" With out missing a beat Merdith says "well all I have to say is he better behave, he's a trouble maker!" I have very few friends who can laugh with me at my sometimes dark humor. It makes me appreciate the few who are actually comfortable with it even more. 

I absolutely agree. My humor these past few years has veered toward the snarky and dark (sometimes) and friends (and sometimes even strangers) who get it are priceless. I know this may sound strange and weird to wids early on, but...G-d, sometimes laughter and tears and one and the same.

I love this story!

About a year after my husband passed away, a friend had a big social event. Her email invite went to an old address that was to my husband and I jointly so I got the invite as 'DH and ME so and so please join us at....' I was finally at the point that I didn't cry anymore. So at the event, she starts apologizing profusely and stating that she didn't mean to be insensitive and she didn't mean to email my dead husband and luckily a great friend chimes in and says 'I'm pretty sure he didn't respond to the email, and he's not gonna be here either.' I lost it with laughter. We laughed until we cried while everyone else looked horribly uncomfortable. I know my laughter was inappropriate to some, I needed it and for some reason it was hilarious. 

P.S. I still get invited to parties so I think its ok.

This past weekend my boyfriend met Dan’s parents. DD and one of my dogs had spent the week with them because I had to go to New York for work, and he went with me to pick them up. We had some trouble figuring out what my in-laws’ expectations were as far as sleeping arrangements. It turned out I was worked up over nothing. I said to him, “I’m sorry, I’ve never taken my boyfriend to meet my late husband’s parents before.” He said, “Now see, here’s where you write to Miss Manners ahead of time…”