My new neighbor-learning from a widow

Sugarbell

My new neighbor is 83...she lost her husband in 2013. She's very connected in the community and is a busy lady. I am learning about life just by watching and being around her.

You would never know she's 83. Her mind is sharp...physically she's awesome. She is outside from 7am till the sun goes down. Always working on her pool, flowers, yard...out with her dog. She has a quiet sitting area outside, a hammock, talks to everyone. My daughter and the neighborhood kids swim in her pool-She wants it used. She raised 4 kids (now in their 50s and 60s).. Only one lives local and has lots of grandkids and great grandkids.

Talks about her husband everyday...wears her wedding rings around her neck. Has no desire to even have coffee with another man...but she hasn't given up on living.

She truly lives....even though she doesn't travel (her kids are always wanting her to go on vacation with them-but she won't leave her dog).. she has made her own piece of heaven at home. (She owns numerous lots in the neighborhood)... her mind is sharp I am convinced bcause she interacts daily...Physically she works harder in her yard than many 40 year olds.

I am learning from her and she doesn't even know it. We were meant to be in this house/neighborhood. (I mean it has downfalls-I will have to mind myself because it's like living in a glass fish bowl but I knew it would be)

Life goes on.

What a refreshing post.  Sadly we all sometimes miss or overlook the life lessons of age and wisdom right in our backyard.  I concur with your belief that interaction with people is keeping her mind and heart young along with an amazing work ethic.  So happy for your successful move and new location.