The Tale of the Tank

A few months after my husband passed in 2012, I got around to the pile of mail that took up half my kitchen island. There was an angry looking bill. All stamped in red letters: OVERDUE. REPO PENDING. It was addressed to a company my husband liquidated years before. It was from an industrial supply company.  Rental fee for some type of cylinder tank. What the feck? Didn't they know I was a widow? With widow brain? On top of it a Poopie Head Girlie? After losing my mind and freaking out for days over nothing, I search and realized it was for the argon gas tank for the mig welder he had in our garage.

The Tale of the Tank

Year Zero- now that I know what the bill is for, can't deal with this shit. Pay fee.

Year One- Ut Oh. Cylinder is secured with chain and padlock.  Can't stand the thought of going into all his hidey places looking for key.  Pay fee.

Year Two- no clue where key is. Maybe next year I will be so confident and secure I'll just fire up that welder and slice thru that damn chain. Ha! I am woman hear me roar thru the welder helmet. Pay fee.

Year Three- I shouldn't have to know how to use a welder MFuc#%^^* No good #%^^{ Arrggh! Pay fee dejectedly.

Bolt cutters or grinder, if the chain is hefty. Wear safety glasses. I have no desire to learn to use a welder either! LOL

It's way past the line I drew at chainsaws. Truth be told, the grinder is a bit outside my comfort zone, but that is because the safety shield is missing and I am always afraid I am going to chop my fingers off.

I paid for a tank rental like this for almost a year and a half. I bet the company would come get it and break the chain for you. I have to say it was relief to get rid of it and not get that bill anymore. If it is not a big lock a hammer can usually take it out.

Guest nonesuch

You don't ask, you don't get.

Call them. Tell them you're widowed and have no use for their tank.  Explain about the chain and the padlock.  I'll bet they'd happily take it off your hands.

I don't play the widow card often, but when I do, people are usually helpful.  I don't play the "pity me" widow card, I play the "Look, I'm a single middle-aged woman living alone and I need advice" card.

It almost always works at the Home Depot and at Aubuchon Hardware, too.  Worked for Late Hubby's credit card company. 

Once a customer asked me to repair his clothing before he flew out of town at 2 in the afternoon.  I told him if he brought my colleague and me coffee and danish, I'd fix it while he waited. Scored a mid-morning snack on that one, too.