The physical side of grief

Lmsmdm

Re: #4.  More on "Persistant Complicated Grief Disorder" here:

http://www.theravive.com/therapedia/Persistent-Complex-Bereavement-Disorder-DSM--5

Allegedly, it only happens to 10-12% of the bereaved population.  Personally, based on the criteria, I find that hard to credit.  But truthfully, DSM catagories are often slippery.  I could see someone only six months out who might need additional help, like if they were completely incapacitated

My cardiologist insisted that I see a Psychiatrist for medication for stress/anxiety/depression, because he was unable to get my heart rate slowed down enough with the cardiac meds. We needed to address the stress hormones that were keeping my heart rate so elevated. When I first met with the Psychiatrist, he said the standard they use for depression is if someone isn't pretty much back to their normal selves by 6 months after the loss. I was incredulous that they didn't differentiate the loss of a spouse from other losses and that they used 6 months. I told him that at 6 months, I was just starting to recognize what had happened and that I felt that timeframe was unrealistic for the loss of a spouse.

The anti-depressant/anti-anxiety med actually did work to slow my heart rate down, though. Thank goodness.