Solicitations from cancer organizations

duckie

With less than two weeks until the 6-year anniversary (can't quite wrap my head around it) I received in the mail yesterday a solicitation from the local hospital's cancer 'coping' charities.  The letter began with 'Dear DH, As some one who benefited from the program...'.  The thing is - he never did.  The day he was supposed to start treatment, they told us they couldn't help us and pretty much kicked us out to go to the other hospital where he was at before.  A week later he was dead and, a week after that I received my first solicitation from them.  Someone at the time called and told them he had passed away... but 6 years later I've gotten one again. 

I called them and let them know.  I was a little conflicted as, being a fundraiser now myself, I can understand how that can happen.  But seeing as I fundraise now partly for free at-home palliative care, I am pretty careful about my solicitations.  Either way, I was probably much more kind about it than what the situation merited.

It brings a lot back up especially this time of year.  Reliving it during the summer has become a cycle of mine and I can prepare somewhat for it, knowing that the anxiety goes away two days after the anniversary, after my birthday has also passed.  I had a terribly difficult day at work and then to come home to this pretty much knocked me right back.  I woke up at 3am when everything is worse and ended up posting here.

On another note, it was quite nice recently to see the old faces in the facebook group, like a little reunion.  It felt like we had all recovered somewhat to become real people again... but today I am back to the old Duckie. 

Similar situation from a rehab facility that contributed significantly to his demise. He was refused dietary compliance. Ashes were not cool when they started bumming and begging. Caused me much distress. I asked them politely to remove my name from the mailing list.

More bumming and begging. The next time I was not courteous or PC. Mission accomplished.

A friend of mine would receive solicitations from this one charity.  He called and even sent an email but still they would send him request for donations.  When he told me about this I took it upon myself to call them directly and told them "my father has received these solicitations and it has to stop.  I told them his wife has passed away and that it is very unnerving to him to get these.  I also mentioned to the person I talked to that if my father receives anymore such solicitations the next time I call, the receiver of my call will not be happy as I will no longer be NICE.  Needless to say he has NOT receive anymore.  Sometimes you have to rude because that's the only way they understand.