His Birthday

Missing AC

I wish there was a "correct" answer to this .......  But do what feels right to you....

On my husband's first birthday after he passed, we celebrated exactly like we would've if he was there....  I invited his sister and her family over,  I made cheesecake, made his favorite dinner, and we celebrated without him.  We cracked jokes at his expense, we talked about him, we cried, we laughed..... 

One of the traditions that my husband always did was that on his birthday, he bought presents for his kids....  so I bought small trinkets for the kids... 

One of the most powerful things I've learned over the past 19 months and 29 days is that milestone days come - and they're usually not as awful as I expect them to be -

The day for us started out dreadful. We went to brunch, bought flowers, and went to the cemetery to visit. It was a cloudy, rainy day and it didn't help our mood. Later in the evening, we too celebrated the day just as we would have if he were still with us. I invited his friends over and we had a game night. In the past, I would hang out with them, watch the guys play, participate in conversation, and replenish snacks/drinks but I never played the games with them so I played this time around. We got catered food and instead of cake, because the girls and I would have traditionally made it, we did ice cream sundaes. It was comforting to hear the laughter and conversation. It was like he was there with us. The day ended out so much better than it started.

Well, I survived! Although, I didn't think I would at first as the day started off pretty rough with tears and just finding it difficult to get out of bed.  Eventually I did get up and face the day.  His family came over, we grilled, and spent time together.  I can't say it was as if he had been there because my DH had quite a presence and he was dearly missed, but there was some comfort in being together.

I've now made it through X-mas, New Year's, Valentine's Day, my son's birthday and now DH's birthday- somehow we manage and continue to push through. 

Best to all and thanks for sharing.