Something new to worry about.

Love2fish

Life has been too easy lately.  I got a call yesterday from a former girlfriend.  We keep in touch every couple months or so just to chat about life.

She was calling to let me know she had just gotten a call from someone pretending to be me.  He said he had a cold so I-he might not sound the same.  He has a sad story about I-he.  Stuck in court in another State and I-he needs $5,000.00 to get home. 

My friend figured the scam out pretty quickly so the only harm so far is the time wasted talking to that lowlife.  My worry is about how the underworld knew to target that particular lady using my name.  The only way they could make that connection is by hacking her computer, or my computer, or PlentyofFish from 4 years ago. 

It is most likely that they hacked her computer.  But if they hacked POF for my data they might call a whole bunch of ladies that I exchanged names and phone numbers with.  I would feel SO horrible if someone I met on POF got ripped off!!  :(>:(:(

Anyone else ever get targeted like that?

My father was targeted, not through a dating website but we think possibly thru Facebook.  He was contacted by a young man pretending to be his grandson (my son.)  The imposter said that he was in trouble in Mexico, had a cold so his voice may sound different, please don't tell Mom but needed money to get out of jail.  My 84 year old Dad didn't fall for it, thank goodness.

Lowlives for sure - I let my family know not to give money if anybody contacts them by phone or otherwise.  Indeed another new thing to worry about  >:(