Party or no Party?

November

My son will be 5 years old next month and he is already telling me wants a party with a jumper, cake, candy and music from the radio.  I think I can handle a little birthday party.  What I can't handle is our families (hubby and mine) they have never really gotten along.  So every gathering Rigo would host his side and I would host mine  Well I kinda of feel obligated to invite them if I decide to have this party for my son.... But I already feel overwhelmed at just the thought of having both families there.

I have already heard rumors coming from my BIL that I'm not letting them see the kids and saying I've changed.  I've tried to explain myself (work, kids sports, homework, house, etc) and they still dont understand why I can't have them at my house whenever they feel like it.  Sometimes I don't post anything on facebook because I just don't want to hear what they have to say and yesterday I received a text from that same BIL where he tells me "that it's so sad not being able to have contact with his nephews and that he hopes his brother in heaven isn't mad at him but he understands I need my space...(WTF!! I really wanted to text back- F***you, You stupid son of B----) but I didn't text anything back.  Not all of my husband's side of the family is like that, my MIL and 2 other BIL's are cool and seem to want what's best for me and my kids.  But this one and another sister --oh man.  They twist everything I say even when I don't talk.

Sorry I got off topic a little bit:) Back to my son's party, in that family if you invite one they feel they need no invite they just show up.  So it's either I invite them all or none at all.

What should I do invite them or not?

Is there someone on your side of the family that is good at event/party planning and can take on the bulk of coordinating a party for both families, then hire bodyguards to kick out those who do not act like adults and behave?? :P (okay the bodyguards was half serious)  Or would it be easier if you had two small parties (spread out the fun stuff between the two), one for each side, that way its more manageable?  Im sure if you have a party for him and one side is not invited they will be offended and hurt more, leading to an even more complicated relationship with them. 

Maybe only invite the ones you know can behave on both sides?

And PS your BIL is an ass and I would love to kick him for you. 

Lynn