This New Life

Mac

Overall, things are going well in my "new life." My children are happy and they are expressive of their love and gratitude. They do make my life so much easier with all of their kindness. Socially, things are going well. It is still hard to let go of some of my old friends. Grateful for the new ones. I am enjoying this dating stuff mostly. It is much easier than I thought it would be.

Cindy & I were friends for 37 years and we were married for 28 years. The foundation built from being best friends, made married life so easy. Commonality of values, faith, wishes, desires, priorities... We did laugh together on a daily basis. We did everything together. We even worked together for the last 8 years of her life. We never grew tired of being around each other usually close to 24/7.

So this is one of those weeks where I still have a hard time believing that Cindy is gone. I am quite happy these days and life is being kind to me on so many levels. I never feel lonely these days. But when someone has been such a constant friend, lover & companion for so many years.... So often it does not compute that they could possibly be gone.

At thirteen months out, today, I can read your words, and it is like you are describing my life, in some ways. I would be lying, if I said things weren't difficult from time to time, or if I said that I didn't miss my Kenneth; but the reality is, life has been relatively good to me, all things considered. My kids are healthy and happy, enjoying their lives, for the most part. Dating has been far easier than I would have expected, and I am enjoying every bit of it. Still, after years of being an extreme caregiver and spending nearly every available minute together, I have trouble with the reality that my Kenneth is really gone.