AFSP Chapter finally in WV

We meet in Charleston (capital) end of May. I am driving down (100 miles away) with 2 of DHs friends who have been instrumental with the OODW in town.

I have been asked if I would be interested on being on the Board of Directors.

Told them I would think about it. Not sure. Suicide work (prevention, education) has been on the back burner with me for the past couple of years. My gut isn't telling me yes or no.

Maybe it will come to me in the next few weeks. I didn't lots of work in my earlier years-but now not sure it's still in me.

• 3 weeks later...

First meeting last night...I rode with 2 of DHs friends who have helped me over the past 5 years with the Out of Darkness walks.

About 40 attendees...still some with raw emotion even at 15 years out. I was the only widow...siblings, children, parents, friends Lost to suicide. I did agree to fill out the necessary forms, paperwork to be on the Board of Directors. I do not want to be an officer...but ironically jobs I have had in the pas/state contacts would be useful to the chapter.

Basically...my role is more marketing the Chaoter to all the mental health facilities in the state, working to get representative from the Bureau of Behavioral Health members involved...partnering up with other grantees who have suicide prevention tasks required of them and providing materials. We have 8 behavioral health facilities...SOS support groups should be available in each of these facilities.

But I wont be running support groups, or speaking to survivors or large groups...especially locally. I want my role more state wide and behind the scenes making calls from home, occasional visits to facilities, etc.

I feel my skills would be useful there. Our Board will only meet 6 times a year and 4 of those Will be sky type/ only 2 a year require travel to the state Capitol.