I'm screwed

MrsDan

I have no place to live in less than four weeks when I start my new job. I've been offered one place, but I got the lease today and I just can't sign it. It's just too much money. I know I am desperate and I should just do it but it's like twice my mortgage. I can't do it. So now I have to write them back and say no. What if this is my only shot at housing? I'm screwed. I can stay with BIL in the short term, but I think that will exacerbate the difficulty of the transition for DD.

Guest Kamcho

It's not your only shot. Tell them no. Have you contacted any realtors? They rented my sister's condo for her.

Don't put yourself in financial difficulty. Say no.

Stay with your BIL but make sure he understands that the short term could be a couple of months while you look for housing.

Once you are there - and get to know people via work and such - you will be more able to assess housing opportunities and might get help and suggestions.

It's hard to know about things like housing from a distance. Don't panic. You have the BIL option. You will figure the housing out once you are there and settled into your job. Little steps.

Better to stay with your BIL or a short term, perhaps not ideal rental situation until you get yourself more acclimated to the area.  I agree with RFOF, kids are pretty resilient. They do take cues from our emotions though so if you are projecting anxiety she could catch some. Also, some things freak me out and some things freak my kids out, often times not the same things so if you are anxious doesn't necessarily mean she is. If this move allows you to spend more time with her she will love that.  She would be happy living in a camper trailer with you.

Guest nonesuch

You're not.

You've navigated some of the most difficult territory ever when you lost your life partner.  This is a point where the map is scuffed and torn, but you still know where you're going. 

You just have to ask for directions until you find a clear spot on your map.

• 2 weeks later...