chatt room question

klim

At the moment the chatt room information is pinned. This is good as the "how to" of chat is readily available.

BUT

I did like at ywbb that you could bump the floating chat thread and that would  indicate to people that you were in the room.

I see that people are adding comments to the pinned thread that they are "in chat" but it's just not as noticeable as when the thread actually bumped.

SO

Was wondering if unpinning the chat room info......or creating a floating"i'm in the mood to chat" topic that can be bumped anytime someone is headed to the chat would make sense. with the chat being pinned at the top i personally don't notice  any action in it.

just a thought

Please no.  If nobody bothers to bum the thread, then it's harder to find, and people can't get into chat.  Or people post small subsets of directions that work for them instead of the full set that gives people all the options.  We wanted it pinned on YWBB, but the admins never responded to the requests made by multiple people.

Spltting out the "let's chat" to a different thread is fine, though.

Take care,

Rob T

Rob, we were thinking that locking the pinned thread and having a separate bumpable chat thread may be the best way to go. That way, your instructions stay pinned but people could still bump a regular thread so it doesn't get overlooked. I was thinking you could create a "I'm in chat" thread and edit your pinned instructions in the original post with a link to that thread. Thoughts?

"Locking" meaning not permitting replies to the post with instructions?  Sure, we might even want to just have a brand new post with just the instructions in that case.  Bonus points if there's an easy way to update the chat instructions as we learn more, e.g. if someone finds the best Android chat client on the planet.

Take care,

Rob T

Yes, let's start clean with a new thread with just the instructions and we'll lock it from receiving replies. The lock shouldn't impact your ability as the author to make edits as needed, but if it does, you can contact me or whoever may be admin at that time to unlock for the edit and relock. We can retitle the existing pinned thread to "Bump- I'm in chat" or something and unpin it.

Thanks everyone!  I think having one pinned and one floating will work out great.  Brilliant!

I have just a couple weird comments that just are things I have noticed over the years - both are very infrequent, but do happen.  Just something for everyone to keep in the backs of their heads.

1.  Some people actually don't read in "general".  Weird huh?  Just kidding.  I think it is very rare, but over the years some frequent posters have been amazed to learn there is a chat room - they generally only post/read in social or only post/read in the newly widowed section.  On rare occasion, they have been active board members for months before they realize there is a chat.  This is VERY rare, but has struck me as something to try to fix if possible.  One thought I had was to pin the chat instructions in each section of the board, but that might seem like chat overload LOL.

2.  The chat directions and current set up are phenomenal - thanks to Rob and everyone who has worked hard on that!!!  However, on rare occasion, we have members that are somewhat tech illiterate - like myself.  When those people ask for a simple link to chat because they can't get in after reading the formal instructions, I tend to post one simple way to get in and say "there are detailed directions *here* if this does not work - or let me know and we can figure it out".  I know some people would prefer that we always refer people back to the official directions, yet some members actually can't manage to get into chat using the referral to the official instructions method.  Again, this is very rare, but if someone does just post a simple link to chat - there may be a very specific reason, so keep that in mind.

Thanks to everyone!  Chat has been invaluable to me over the years :D

Hi AC,

The "just give them a link" is probably fine if it's not Mibbit (sigh).  I hate that this seems to be true, but the cutest, froggiest chat vehicle has two problems: 1) people have to remember to pick the right server, or they will sit isolated (that seems stupid to me, too), and 2) people seem, in my experience, to be thrown off of Mibbit a whole lot, apart from the splits and issues IRC throws at us on bad days.  My speculation is that their server gets overloaded and sheds people.  The links to Kiwi IRC and dal.net both seem to be more reliable, so maybe if we just hand those links and steps first, it will be better.  The bold can try Mibbit later if they want to twiddle colours.

Another thing - I don't know if I have ever heard directly from a new user who finds the how-to confusing.  Everyone can help somehow, and asking questions or suggesting changes may be your way.  Other suggestions have helped already, believe it or not :-)

Take care,

Rob T

Thanks Rob!  I will certainly keep that in mind about Mibbit when deciding how to best help a given individual access chat based on the totality of my knowledge.  I thought there was actually a post either on this board or the interim board where someone was requesting a "simple link to chat".  That is an example of what I am talking about.  There have been many other examples over the years, but blah blah blah on that.

The frog is super cute - but cute don't get the job done!!!