Anyone here ever hire a roofer?

Guest nonesuch

Guest nonesuch

The winter was harder than usual, and I'm not as young as I used to be.

Ice dams were problematic.  I'm 58, not looking at retirement yet, and wondering how many years I'll be in this house.  I just got the first estimate and it's pricey.  On the other hand, I'll never need to roof rake again, and if I sold the house, "It's got a new roof!" and if I don't I'm veering into the territory of delayed maintenance. 

Basically, I'm looking for reassurance that this is a good idea.  I'm pretty sure it is, it's just  a lot higher than I thought it would be. 

I've gone through the process of hiring roofers for repair, have never replaced an entire roof though.  Hard decision on whether to repair or replace.

Do you have access to an Angie's List type of service?  Or ask neighbors for referrals.  I would get another estimate or two, from a reputable roofer.  Good luck, no easy decision. 

Guest tableforone

Yes. I replaced my roof three years ago. I had a large house with two porches and a large garage. I got three estimates and they varied widely. I got references from trusted neighbors and co-workers. I  got the top of the line architectural shingles because they looked so good. Then I sold the house two years later. The new roof was a big selling point. Also, it gave my living alone in a house self, peace of mind. I never had any ice build up afterwards.

Good luck!

Guest nonesuch

A friend of mine in the big city nearby had to hire a roofer.  He  asked for referrals from the fellow.  Roofer gave him three customers' names.  One of them wasn't happy with the work. 

It's sad the customer wasn't happy, and very, very puzzling the roofer didn't know about it...

I replaced mine 1 1/2 years ago. I got 3 estimates. I don't know how they come up with the price (dart board back at the office is my best best) but the differences in pricing from 1st to 3rd, was double almost exactly. 1st guy was recently widowed with a kid in college and another daughter just married. He called back to see if I'd be going head and I bit my tongue and just said no thanks.

Definitely get references, don't give all money up front and several estimates!

I have had this roof replaced twice.  The first time was going from shakes (shudder) to shingles, and the second was after a big hail storm last June.  We hired the first ourselves on the recommendation of two or three neighbors who'd used them, and they seemed fine.  The second time I had a general contractor who worked with my insurance company; they said some of the water damage was because the treatment around the things that stuck through the shingles was not done properly (so I maybe should not have been happy the first time).  He had a subcontractor come and do the roof, and they seemed OK.  I think if you need a new roof, you need a new roof, just be careful.

Take care,

Rob T

Guest Questions

I agree with Ifonly above.

I don't live where it snows but I googled & from what I've read ice dams aren't caused by failing roofs but attic heat causing roof snow to melt in places. Because the edges of the roof are cooler, the melted snow runs to the edges & freezes there instead of running off, forming an ice dam.

The permanent cure is to prevent heat in the attic from reaching the underside of the roof to begin with.

If you google "what causes an ice dam" there are many links describing the condition & recommendations for what to check/seal/vent/insulate in the attic to prevent the problem from recurring. Here are a couple of them: http://home-partners.com/articles/ice-dams-quick-fixes-cure

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,1131346,00.html

If it were me, I'd hire a professional to pinpoint any heat trapping sources in the attic & address those things before spending the money to re-roof.

Guest look2thesky

Wow you guys rock.

I did my own roof (I was younger)

Can't anymore due to a shoulder injury.

My advuse is to use timberline and pay the extra and be done with it.

Nonesuch-When you say by getting a new roof you will never have to roof rake snow again I want to make sure you understand that a new roof itself will not solve the problem of ice dams....ice dams are caused by poor attic ventilation and possibly inadequate insulation levels and/or heat leaking into the attic. 

Please check out your insulation, make sure it is a proper R value for your climate, if you have heat ducts running through there they need to be sealed at seams, also check to make sure bathroom vents are venting properly to the outdoors. 

Next have someone evaluate your ventilation (the ratio of soffit venting to ridge or can vents) to make sure it is adequate. 

Finally, if you do have proper insulation levels make sure that it is not shoved so far into the soffit areas as to cause a blockage (they make baffles to help prevent this). 

Make sure whoever you hire runs ice shield under the first few runs of shingle from the edge of the roof,  where I live 3 feet up is code but my roofers do 6 feet,  this will help when the dams start to melt and the water tries to back up under the shingle and get to the deck boards/plywood. 

Roofs are expensive but done well with quality materials should last 25-35 years.  Most of the shingle companies are calling their shingles "lifetime warrantied" now but I don't see how...time will tell. 

Ask for references and do drive bys to look at the quality of the work, talk to the homeowners....good luck...either it will give you years of wonderfulness or if you move it will be a great selling point...either way it is a good idea.

Guest nonesuch

Aha, I should have specified a metal roof.

Yes, I know about the insulation/ventilation dynamic.  Too many eves and valleys.  The house is 150 years old.  late Hubby did do insulating and ventilating but I'm not sure it's possible to do enough of both to eliminate the need for raking. 

I'm told the disadvantage of a metal roof is that it's noisy when it rains.  That's something I can live with.