hermit throwing a n Ontaribago - CANCELED

smabify

Hey smabify, you managed to almost completely conceal the location you're talking about :-)  People would actually need to know the area (not your home address unless they're coming).  Some of us remember, but won't have seen prior stuff.

Rough distances or drive times to a couple of airports would be nice; pointing to a reasonably-located hotel would also be nice (no room block necessary, just a carpooling convenience).

As for us, I am overdue for some calendar work!

Take care,

Rob T

ahh Mr. Rob, you are correct as usual!

I live in Caledonia, which is just outside of Hamilton, Ontario.  I am almost equal distance between Toronto and Buffalo airports (about 45 minutes from each)  - always depends on traffic! 

There are several more reasonably priced hotels located in Hamilton if you don't mind staying in a Super 8 / Days Inn type deal.  It's about 15 minutes from here.  There's a nice Days Inn on Upper James Street that averages about $110 per night at that time of year.  If that's too pricey, I'm almost sure we can get a little less expensive with a bit more research.  Would love to get you closer, but living in a hick town like this, there's nothing really close  ;)

If it would be more convenient, we could do a real Niagara bago - there are hotels just outside of the actual "tourist" area that are actually reasonable.  I've actually never camped so close, but I will look into the campgrounds, and let you know about that!  If worst comes to worst, you can camp in my backyard :D

That's it for now, but if any other questions come up, I shall be happy to look into them!

And now that I've posted all this, I'm having panic attacks... What if people actually want to COME?? People. PEOPLE! I should not be around people. In general, people do not like me. ;-)

smabify,

I WANT to come but unfortunately that weekend is a graduation party for my godson.  Niagara was the last vacation we took as a family before my wife died.  Drove up in an RV for a long weekend.

That said, I wanted to encourage you.  I hosted a Bago at my house last summer and it was a wonderful thing.  Like you, right after I announced it I thought "what have I done?" But you know this group will be there to enjoy each others company and in many cases get to finally meet those with whom many have developed good friendships virtually.  My first Bago was just three of us for dinner and it was the best thing I ever did, size won't matter just that you are connecting with others.

And yes it is a wonderful way to make you clean the house, been there!  Good luck and sorry I can't get there this summer...maybe you'll enjoy it so much you make it an annual event with different visitors each year. 

Sounds fun! I'm definitely a maybe :)

Although I lived in southern Ontario for a year, I've never actually driven to Niagara Falls, but I have been there a few times and I love it! It was the last family vacation we took with dh.

The only problem I really have is travelling with my boys..they hate it,haha. Which in turn makes me hate it too! Also trying to get yard work, decks built, landscaping, etc...done here and not being able to control when it's being done (my bil is doing it for free, but on his schedule) presents a bit of an issue as well in planning ahead too far!

So depending on whether they think they can manage being in the car that long, and progress on my yard work we might be able to make it. I would actually love to go alone, but I don't think that is possible either!

I will know for sure closer to the date :)

• 2 weeks later...