Lots of guns sold at yard sale

Past weekend my neighborhood had it's annual community yard sale. I had been gone all week and didn't participate.

I live in gun country. Everyone worries about liberals taking away "yer guns". So I keep my mouth shut (seriously for the most part I do)...Ifs a cultural thing.

Over 30 rifles, handguns/pistols were sold at the community yard sale. No background checks, no paperwork...total strangers with cash buying guns. And some of my neighbors had many to sell and were bragging how much more money they made instead of selling thru a pawn shop. (Which at least pawn shops do paperwork and brief background  checks-WV doesn't have a waiting period though).--DH bought his handgun from a pawn shop-was dead 4 hours later.

Again...I am not anti gun. My boys have been hunting with my Dad and brother since they were 8 or 9. I have been around hunting culture all my life. But all of my family supports gun control.Not anti gun-just reasonable regulations.

And there is a federal loophole in the law....it's completely legal to sell any privately owned guns at yard sales.

WTF???--Sorry...posted this is Special Circumstances...as am SOS and losing my DH to GSW to the head...with a gun bought spontaneously...this very much upsets me.

But I keep it to myself IRL. just needed to vent here about it. People get in an uproar over the legalization of pot...but any kid who looks over 18 can buy a gun at a yardsale? It's easier to buy a gun here than it is cigarettes or alcohol.

Damn.

Again...I am not anti gun. My boys have been hunting with my Dad and brother since they were 8 or 9. I have been around hunting culture all my life. But all of my family supports gun control.Not anti gun-just reasonable regulations.

As a gun-owner, I will say that I feel exactly the same way. It is ludicrous that it is so easy to buy a firearm.

Sugarbell,

I'm so sorry. I struggle with the gun laws and availability in general, but seeing them so readily available for spur of the moment purchases must be almost impossible for you to deal with.

Hugs to you,

Bluebird

If someone is determined to kill themselves, they will find away. Jumping off a building, knife, chainsaw, any way possible. What is way more accessible than guns are prescription medications. How many people die a year and are addicted

and kill themselves from those. More than you can imagine. How many people were on medication before they decided to kill

themselves. I bought my first gun when I was 18, I often wonder if I didn't, would I be in the situation I am? I also wonder, if it wasn't that, would he have had time to think it over and change his mind? Or would he just think of another way? A worse way possibly, not so quick and easy. Those thoughts kill me.

Some yes...will kill themselves regardless and find a way.

Some.though will not....which is why 3 and 7 day wAiting periods have been proven to prevent suicide and crimes of passion.

And let's face it...GSW -pretty good odds it's going to work. Men are 4 times more likely to successfully complete suicide because they are more likely to use lethal means. A lot of women stick with overdosing on pills-and sometimes it works and sometimes they get lucky and it doesn't.

But legally being able to buy a gun at a yardsale???? And this is legal in all states. Even states with very strict gun laws. (Something about being a private owner..)

I have a 22 Rifle-it's locked up in a closet...unloaded. My Dad has more guns than I can count. Locked up unloaded in a closet (he hates gun cases-Said it's advertising-He never wanted any kids coming to our home to even know he had guns)

But we would give them all up in a heartbeat if it meant the end of all guns in Amerca.

It's an issue I am quiet on. My family is known in our hometown as "hunters" and my Dad won rifle and bow/arrow shooting awArds. They are also liberal (rare here) and support gun control. It's caused a stink before and even issues in the extended family so I say nothing.

But seeing dozens of pistols and handguns being bought at yard sales in my neighborhood just sent me spinning. I mean any young adult/teen who looked older could easily have bought one. WTF? But they can't buy alcohol till they are 21. If a bar serves minors-they get fined and in trouble-If that minor gets drunk in there bar vas drives drunk and kills someone the bar owner can be prosecuted. But if a 17 year old shoots up his family with a gun they bought at a yard sale-no one is held responsible.

It's a controversial issue....but I just hate it.

There are countless countries that have turned over their guns, - and the out come, millions of innocent citizens murdered. Tons of history on that. The chances of people going out and getting drunk, getting addicted, driving and killing someone and dying from alcohol are more likely than people doing the same with guns. If someone wants to kill someone or themselves, they will find a way. Africa, no guns allowed - one of the highest murder rate and crime countries in the world.

Not saying "No guns allowed"

Saying more restrictions...I know the black market exists...shoot I saw it in my suburbia neighborhood this weekend (legal but it's still buying off the street)

Guess I look at our Canadian friends...a country much more similar to the US than say Africa. Guns aren't illegal...but the culture is not "pro gun" ....the statistics prove it...less gun deaths across the board.

I used to travel via car extensively all over the state. People couldn't believe I never carried a concealed handgun.

Most the people with lots of guns here...that worry about break ins etc. No one wants there shit anyway (except maybe the pills they have stashed). it just baffles me that the less people have...the less there home is worth.... The more concerned they are with someone breaking in and stealing there junk.

We have more shacks and dilapidated trailers here....with trash all over the yard...a pitbull chained out front...no trespassing and beware of dog signs...on welfare...that hate liberals (who financially support them) cause they are afraid that "Obama might take our guns"

Like anyone who want there shit to start with.

Sorry off course...don't want a debate...just eye opening this weekend.

Guest TooSoon

Even as a vegan, I promote the concept of firearms for the purposes of sustenance but dont start pontificating about history because I might have to take you to task on that one.  Here are some statistics for you.  The lack of gun control in this country is ludicrous.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list

P.S. Africa is not a country.

And there is a federal loophole in the law....it's completely legal to sell any privately owned guns at yard sales.

WTF???--Sorry...posted this is Special Circumstances...as am SOS and losing my DH to GSW to the head...with a gun bought spontaneously...this very much upsets me.

But I keep it to myself IRL. just needed to vent here about it. People get in an uproar over the legalization of pot...but any kid who looks over 18 can buy a gun at a yardsale? It's easier to buy a gun here than it is cigarettes or alcohol.

A small quibble SB - It is illegal throughout the US for anyone under 21 to own or buy a handgun. It doesn't matter who sells it. The local law enforcement can and should step in during cases such as you mentioned. A simple phone call should do it. Also, that isn't a 'loophole' in the Federal Law - it was designed that way for better or worse.

I understand you being upset - My late wife also shot herself so I get it but, assuming the buyers were of legal age, it's the law that they can purchase in that format.

Most folks in America that kill themselves during a spur of the moment episode, use their vehicles in one fashion or another. The sad fact remains that if a person is serious about taking their own life, they will find a way. Removing all firearms from everyone will not change this fact.

When the coroner was at my home, I lamented to him that if I had just been more careful or at home or, or, or. . . . my wife would not have died. He sadly explained to me the seriously suicidal are always successful - they will always find a way. The means could be as simple as a rock in the front yard.

My wife got into my locked gun safe. Never in a million years would I have guessed that she could break into my neighbors garage, steal his equipment, drag it home and teach herself how to use an oxygen/acetylene cutting torch effectively in the space of an Saturday afternoon.

But she did.

Wishing you peace - Mike

I know. I don't get it. Why even have state laws...when legally you can buy a handgun without paperwork.Background check or anything. There is a reason you can't buy a firearm if you've ever been committed to a mental institution or have a felony. (At least here-no clue if that's a state or federal law.

Then really what's the point in any gun laws period?

I don't know if anyone they sold to was underage-just used that as an example ...

And I do agree....that some truly mentally ill people will kill themselves whether they have a gun or not.

But some won't...after a few days they can't believe they ever thought it.

Even if DH was still alive (no suicide no gun)  I would be appalled at how easy it is to get a firearm.